Door Hinge collapsed

-

Serj22

Reaction score
So when I bought my 4 door dart, I asked the guy if it had any quirks, and he said the back left door lower hinge needed repair. I said - no big deal. Well - go to open door one day and the hinge collapsed into the door. The metal it was mounted to basically corroded and popped into the door in one piece. I had to unbolt the hinge from the B pillar to allow the door to close. It took a nice small chip of paint with it to. I was sad. But non-theless, he said the hinge needed to be re-welded. I should have expected it, I just didn't expect it that soon.

This is a 1968. I'm curious how much it would cost to fix? I would assume I'd need to have someone fabricate a whole new front piece of the door there? It's fine if they take out the paint there, because it's never visible unless the door is open. The problem is I don't know how to weld, or really work with metal for that matter. I'm just a stupid finish carpenter. How much would a repair like this run? Unless there's a fabo member in the bay area that could handle this? I got that green paper stuff with numbers and dead guys on it for compensation.

Hey Serj22...you could buy a complete good used door cheaper than making that repair on the door you currently have. Would def be worth looking around for one I think.

Hey Serj22...you could buy a complete good used door cheaper than making that repair on the door you currently have. Would def be worth looking around for one I think.

I thought that would be the case, but on top of that, painting the door would be at minimum $200 at a crappy paint place on top of whatever the door costs. Would a repair like this be that costly?

In my opinion, you could find a door for less than $100 complete and in great shape most likely. The metal fab repair on your old door will cost at least that and you could still have alignment trouble, not to mention more rot on that baby.

-
Back