Door Jamp Striker Repair?

-

GSS340

Reaction score
Oh it never ends...what is the best method to repair the door strikers? Mine have cracked out all around the strikers and need to be welded back up. Seems like I remember a Mopar magazine doing a piece on repairing them but can't find my magazine...anyone have it laying around or can walk me through it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You mean the backing plate/nut it screws into behind the door frame is actually cracked/loose?

Its the actual metal on the body. The body metal around and under the big round washer like piece of the striker has cracked out from stress and made a big hole and striker just rattles in it. I undscrewed the striker out and I have the body piece which now looks like a big sheetmetal washer. It fits back in the whole and I guess I could just make welds around it but I think that area is probably stretched and stress and will just break again. In the magazine article I though they cut out a big square of the body jam and put in a complete new piece? As far as I know A-bodies are terrible at breaking out at these places.

Here is a picture of another cars busted out striker...just found this site and it shows one way to repair them. This guy just welded a plate over the broken area and used it that way...not sure I like the extra metal on top but I guess you could cut and butt weld in and make flat.

67dart-djam02.jpg

i had this same problem with my cuda, someone did some real "chicken poop" all over where they tried to reweld the door striker area back in, my dad and i just choped out the whole area, went down to the parts store got some new strikers kinda expensive, i dont remember how much i did post them up on here a while ago, but now its just bare metal and the doors shut AWESOME now i need to finish the fiberglass around them and put some filler on them to get them looking nice and clean again

Hi I had this same problem with both of my 70 dusters, the first one I took some plate steel about a 1/8 or 3/16 thick and cut out a square about 3" x 3"
Drilled a large hole in it (so I still had full striker adjustment) and welded in place, ground down the welds and used a little body filler to make it look finished and then painted. It works great but looks a little out of place. So on the other car I made a template of the entire flat area around the striker hole, used the same plate steel, ground it down and took some time with the body filler. and you can't tell theres been a repair made.
I recently went to a all mopar wrecking yard, and every A body I looked a had some sort of damage in that area. I guess its just a weak spot.

I got a little bigger washer (diamater)(Homedepot) than the one thats one there. Ground it a little thinner. The bigger washer covered my broken metal area. It looks real clean. No welding needed.

Good Luck
John
www.inlandmopars.com

-
Back