Door panel repair?

-

bignick

Reaction score
Can the wrikles be flattened or stretched back into shape? I have a chance to buy some rear door panels that are hard to find and they have some wrinkles where the vinyl is releasing. Not bad and most of the panel is very nice.

If you are willing to pull up some up some of the existing material to do it, I found a heat gun and some new contact cement works good.
The spray 3M High Strength #90 is some tough stuff.

If you are willing to pull up some up some of the existing material to do it, I found a heat gun and some new contact cement works good.
What do you mean by pull up material? I realize I will have to release the edge on the side where its wrinkled and
cool do you have a pic of the finished work?

What do you mean by pull up material? I realize I will have to release the edge on the side where its wrinkled and

cool do you have a pic of the finished work?

Yes, that is what I meant.
Just pull up the loose parts and spray it on the panel and material both, then use the heat gun to soften the material so it lays down again.

No pics sorry, because I don't have one of those cars anymore.
You couldn't tell it was done after.

I bought some panels that were wrinkled on the edges and the vinyl is pretty well set and not pliable, I'm going to use a steamer, I don't have a commercial one like upholsterers do, but I do have one for suits ect. Has a wand that emits steam.
I figured that'll soften it up and allow me to reattach it to the backer board.

Trailbeast is correct. The 40 year old material is now hardened and reluctant to change (like some people I know). The important part is the use of a heat gun to soften and stretch the material. I wouldn't use steam as that would make the material wet. A steamer is good for headliners. Pull up the old stuff, heat and slowly work and glue. All this being said, nothing looks as nice as a new panel.

Trailbeast is correct. The 40 year old material is now hardened and reluctant to change (like some people I know). The important part is the use of a heat gun to soften and stretch the material. I wouldn't use steam as that would make the material wet. A steamer is good for headliners. Pull up the old stuff, heat and slowly work and glue. All this being said, nothing looks as nice as a new panel.
I'm tryng it now with a steam iron. It's kicking my butt. I'll try a heat gun with the 3M 90 spray.

-
Back