door window parts

-

theothergarth

Reaction score
After 37 years, I guess the plastic/nylon parts just don't hold up. The door windows on my 73 Duster ride on two rails to keep them in place. There is a plastic/nylon wheel that is attached to the window that fits in these rails. Of the 4 I need, I have only 1 left. Does anyone know where I can find this part. I have tried Year One and none of the parts that come up in a search look like the right part to me.

Great links....thanks! I thought Year One was pretty much it for this type of thing. They have a lot of stuff, but their website is horrible. Many things either have no picture, a generic picture, or are completely mislabeled. Their search is also confusing, you search for "73 Duster window" and you get results that include stripe kits, door panel, and rear spoilers.

ok, I think I found the right part, but the wheels come already on the tapered shaft. My question now is, how do you get the old shafts off (drill them out I presume) and how do you get the new ones on? I presume they need to be hammered to mushroom the base out to hold them on....which brings up another question. How do you take the bracket off the glass so you don't shatter it while doing all this drilling and hammering?

Garth,
I hope I can help here.
First the wheels are a three piece assembly.You have to take a thin pointy object and tap the back loose of the main body trough the three holes on the face of the wheel.
then you need a tool to press the wheel off of the post.I made one out of a piece of channel and a 1/4-20 bolt. You then take a heat gun and get the wheel as hot as possible to soften it up and pull it off of the post.
you then reverse the procedure to install the new one.The lock ring goes on first and pay attention to have the side with the tapered hole facing up, then the spring and finally the outer wheel.Tap the wheel on the post and snap the lock ring into the wheel with pliers.

To get the assemblies off of the glass you will need a spanner wrench, actually two for some of the posts. I dont know where to buy one because I couldnt find one so I made some out of plate steel and a couple of square drive tips.you may need some patience here and a lot of rust blaster. once everything was apart I replaced all of the fasteners with stainless and the spacers with some 3/8" hose from home depot.
I hope this gets you closer to the answer.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo500.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo501.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Photo506.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Photo507.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo504.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Photo505.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo503.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo502.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 93
Awesome home made tools! I love the inginuity! Those pics and your description are a great help, thanks.

I got mine off the wall in the help section of autozone and took those big washers off with needle nose pliers.
Just put the two points of the pliers in the holes and twist.
I think I paid 2.95 for 3 of them.

Garth, do you happen to have a pic of the horizontal track in place, I cant remember how they were on the glass?
Andrew

-
Back