Dougs headers question

-

64cudaV8

Reaction score
I have the dougs headers for my 64 cuda. They are the two piece style. Can the pipes be sealed from the outside where they come apart? I installed the pasengers header without spliting it apart. Can it be sealed at the seam on the outside of the tube without it blowing out? If so what to use?

you could have a flange welded on each piece and bolt them together if there is room

Thats not gonna work. these are slip fit but need to be sealed. was wondering if anyone that has used them how they sealed them.

Have not seen it recently (or looked for it) but you used to be able to buy exhaust pipe sealer at auto parts stores. From what I remember it was in a tube and you slathered it onto the male pipe and then inserted it into the female pipe. It would then harden up and seal the joint. It didn't remain soft like RTV type stuff but actually get hard like glass.

I hope nobody takes the above out of context, it just sounds wrong by itself.

Haha I get the gist of it. I also thought about those stainless pipe clamps. wonder if they would work?

I used the stainless steel strap clamp on the headers for my 67 Barracuda it wasn't that they leaked but when they were cold they rattled a lot and I didn't like that much so that was the fix.

I see them using a blue sealing compound on wheeler dealers all the time.

Not sure what it is.

I used the stainless steel strap clamp on the headers for my 67 Barracuda it wasn't that they leaked but when they were cold they rattled a lot and I didn't like that much so that was the fix.

Do you remember what size they were?

-
Back