Dougs installation problems on '74 Duster

-

64physhy

Reaction score
SO, I bought the Dougs D453 headers for my '74 Duster. The applications only list '70-'72 dusters for them, but I was told by a couple members on here that they know for sure that they will fit a '74, so I got them. I don't remember who it was that told me that, or I would PM them for help. Has anyone done it, and if so, how??? Thanks in advance.

well, it's not looking like they will. The engine is out, so I set the headers in place and it looks like the left one will have issues around the steering box. I'm getting ready to go set the block in in a few minutes. I just bolted them on to an engine I have on an engine stand and did some eye-balling. It may not be as bad as I originally thought.

Gonna be tight. I don't have the heads on yet, and I have to go to work now. I'll see in the next couple days if it's going to work.

It usually takes me a few days to get them in. I lose my patience and start throwing stuff,so I have to walk away,lol..

They've been installed on a bunch of 73+ spool mount cars, both power and manual steering..

My friend just installed a set on a '70 dart,he was not happy at all with the fit.... 2 of the tubes just about touch his oil pan along with other issues..he wishes he bought tti's after seeing how easy mine went on and how nicely they fit,and clear everything..plus he paid $442.00 for the Dougs and with the issues he had with them said he wished he bought the tti's for $631.00..

My friend just installed a set on a '70 dart,he was not happy at all with the fit.... 2 of the tubes just about touch his oil pan along with other issues..he wishes he bought tti's after seeing how easy mine went on and how nicely they fit,and clear everything..plus he paid $442.00 for the Dougs and with the issues he had with them said he wished he bought the tti's for $631.00..

I thought Dougs and TTI'a were pretty much the exact same fit? I have
heard some actually say the Dougs fit better than the TTI's. First time I
have heard it in reverse.

I thought Dougs and TTI'a were pretty much the exact same fit? I have
heard some actually say the Dougs fit better than the TTI's. First time I
have heard it in reverse.

No they're not,Dougs run s a couple of the tubes on the drivers side a little differently then tti's,as a matter of fact the one tube i mentioned in my earlier post is so close to my buddys oil pan he's worried about over-heating the oil...but live and learn next time he'll buy tti's...:-D:-D

So close or touching... BIG difference. The oil moves so fast through the system if there is an air gap, it's not an issue. Mine have at least a 3/16" gap and NONE of the paint is burned on the pan! Hmmmmm ????? Making mountains out of mole hills again.

Funny my Dougs fit perfect in my car, but, not your friends, your friends car must be f'd up... that's using your logic, re tti fit... . You seem to think these cars are built in jigs with tolerances in the .001 range... not gonna happen. More like 1/8" tolerances.

Ever seen tti with a milodon pan?

tti or the predecesor used Dougs as a template.

The OP doesn't even have them in... he thinks they won't work. If you have PS, it sucks for fit no matter which brand you use. Make sure the engine is in the correct location and you shouldn't have any issues.

Why yes i have on my duster with the stroker in it..no issues at all...and tti's are step headers Dougs are NOT...

I did not have any issues with fitting tti with a Milodon pan... my issues were on the dyno..... tti was not great. Maybe just my setup.

I did not have any issues with fitting tti with a Milodon pan... my issues were on the dyno..... tti was not great. Maybe just my setup.

That step design helped a lot huh!!! ROTFLMAO.

It's one of the most overhyped jokes for this particular header. A big 4-6 hp swing for another 200+ dollars over Dougs. yippeee! It's not the diameter of the tube that's the problem with tti, but, some don't get that.

My TTIs cleared my Milodon pan. I had no issues with them. The tranny lines came very close to them though (904)

I think either TTIs or Dougs are as good as they get for under 450hp street cars but the long collectors will clip some rpms off the top.

Well, finally got around to getting the head and header on the driver side. It was really tight, but I got it. The driver side is barely touching the power steering box. That kind of worries me because I routed my trans cooler lines between the power steering box and fender, so I'm afraid the box will transfer the heat from the header over to the trans line (steel braided lines). I really think that because the engine was out when I set the headers in is the only way to get them in a '74.

You mentioned milodon pans.....I 'think' I have a milodon pan (gold in color, deep sump, squared edges etc....).......in my 72 Barracuda.....and just ordered the 453 Dougs for it....

Are you saying Dougs WILL work with the Dougs headers just fine?

I just finished installing the Doug's D-453's on my '74 Duster w/ power steering and a stock type Milodon Pan. Fit is awesome. Wish I would have known about these the other two times I put headers on this car!

duster 002_resize.jpg

I think something is wrong with those headers, you shouldn't be able to get
to the spark plugs that easy lol.

I have a 4 speed 70 Dart, does anyone know how they would fit on that?
I'm thinking about breaking open the piggybank on a set.

I think something is wrong with those headers, you shouldn't be able to get
to the spark plugs that easy lol.

Douges will fit very well on a 70 Dart. I have seen a few sets installed and was impresed with how well they fit and how much ground clearence you have with them.

Just an FYI all A bodies from 67-75 have all most the exact same engin bay.

They fit well on the car.

One area that you'll be doing work is on your Z-bar. Both Dougs and tti are horrible for fit on the downside leg of the z bar. Every car I've ever worked on required moving the leg or a major bend/grinding with those two header brands.

Ok, thanks.

Is the ceramic coating worth the 200 dollar adder?

It's actually about $150 (430 uncoated vs. 580 coated). Obviously I did. I left the bubble wrap on them when I installed them to minimize the scratching, but I did end up with a couple. They were a lot easier to get in then it was to get the old ones out.

-
Back