Dougs installation problems on '74 Duster

-
I just finished installing the Doug's D-453's on my '74 Duster w/ power steering and a stock type Milodon Pan. Fit is awesome. Wish I would have known about these the other two times I put headers on this car!

Mine are on a '74 Duster also, but hits the steering box. Looks like you have about an inch of clearance. How's that?

How are your motor mounts? Just for reference my engine my crank center-line to k-frame is ~5.5" and the engine is offset ~2" closer to the passenger side frame rail then the drivers. These measurements should tell you where yours is compared to mine. Another thing I did to gain a little more clearance was to shim the steering box slightly. I've got ~1/16" shim on the side of the box with two bolts (away from frame). Let me know if you need more info...

It's actually about $150 (430 uncoated vs. 580 coated). Obviously I did. I left the bubble wrap on them when I installed them to minimize the scratching, but I did end up with a couple. They were a lot easier to get in then it was to get the old ones out.

Hey guys....

Just a heads up --- I picked up a set of Dougs 453s (coated) on ebay from Massive Speed Systems for about $565 shipped. Saved $35 or so over summit and others.

The headers shipped from CA (even though the guy said they were in stsock in IL) but they arrived last night and are installed on my fish.

Saving $$ is good. :cheers:

If I would do it again, i wouldrun masking /electrical tape acorss the fronts of the tubes....even though I was being VERY careful, I managed to get a couple of scratches....:thumbdow:

But they look great....will hear them for the first time this evening!
:-D

That's a good price. I got a really good deal on mine...ceramic coated for $408 +Shipping. I think it was around $430 total. They were on sale and PayPal was having some thing where you got 15% off any purchase, so combined, it was $180 off the regular price.

How are your motor mounts? Just for reference my engine my crank center-line to k-frame is ~5.5" and the engine is offset ~2" closer to the passenger side frame rail then the drivers. These measurements should tell you where yours is compared to mine. Another thing I did to gain a little more clearance was to shim the steering box slightly. I've got ~1/16" shim on the side of the box with two bolts (away from frame). Let me know if you need more info...

My mounts are in good condition. I'd probably get a little better clearance (1/8-1/4) with new ones. I will try shimming the box though. Thanks for the info.

Does your car have a column shifted automatic?

I have a set of Hooker Competition headers on my car.
73 340 Sport with A/C, PS, PB and column shift. The fit is pretty good and no issues around the steering box.

P2020797.jpg

Oops, never updated. I got them. Had to shim the steering box. Still very close, but I think new motor mounts would definitely help. When I dop the stroker in, the mounts will be replaced.

I got the Hooker Comp headers as well and hpoefully will be dropping the engine in in the next couple of days (when the correct motor mount arrives).
Sounds like I'm going to have to sharpen up my "colorful adjectives" dictionary to install them LOL. I bought them Just painted and plan to install / then hammer / then remove and ceramic coat. Has anyone installed these on a 4spd car? Kev

tti's are the way to go. Never tried Dougs they look nice. The hedmans are junk. I seen a set of hedman elite start rusting in 6 months.

-
Back