Drag car wiring

-

GTX699

All mopar
Reaction score
I have a 67 dart that i am making into a drag car. I have gutted all wiring and going to make my own harness. If i do this what ignition should i run? And does someone sell a whole ignition kit? Do i still need ballest reistor and the orange or chrome box? I have a moroso dash panel with 5 switches and a start button. I am going to wire all ignition and wires into car at a fuse panel on floor. Has anyone done this and do you have any pics? Thanks for the help this is a great site.
Brian

If you go with a MSD distributor,coil, and control box, the things you mentioned like the box and the ballast resitor go away. All the MSD parts plug together and to a single power source and a ground.

Painless Wiring has some nice stuff. What ignition you run will be up to you but if you stay with the stock one your going to need the ballast resistor.

Myself I would go with a MSD 6AL at the least with one of their distributors.

The ignition is going to depend on your budget and the details of the motor - particularly your RPM and how much cylinder pressure you're making. On some motors a hot ignition is a waste of money, while on others it can be crucial. What can you tell us about your motor?

The motor is a 383 stock with a mild cam. I will be running torker intake with holly double pumper and fenderwell headers. Any advice will help since this is my first drag car. Thanks for all the help.
Brian

I'd probably skip the high dollar ignition upgrades as your money will be better spent on test and tune nights to iron out the best advance curve than on high powered components. With a mild motor, when you fire the spark is going to be more important than how hot you get the spark.

If you want to splurge, a good billet distributor would be the splurging I'd pick, for getting a precise advance mechanism and easily swapped springs. An MSD 8386 might be a nice choice; it's got MSD's advance mechanism and a built in inductive ignition module, paired with a decent E-core coil. A lower budget choice would be a stock Mopar electric distributor, recurved, and paired with an Echlin HEI module (or an orange box if you prefer the traditional approach). The HEI module with an external HEI coil or the MSD ready to run distributor do not need ballast resistors; the orange box does.

-
Back