Drag: Have motor and trans, but which car?

-

TheMonster

New Drag Racer
Reaction score
Alright well I'm new to this forum 8). Don't flame but my first car is a 1983 Z/28 Camaro (I'm 16), not a bad first car. But I wanted something I could mess around with at the track, and learn more about mopars...they are soo expensive and couldn't find one for a daily driver. A while back we were going to buy a 1972 Challenger R/T, it was tubed and had a 'glass front end, roll cage, and slicks. We were going to buy that, but bought a camaro instead.
Now that that is out of the way I want to ask a question. I need a car, haha. My dad and I have a 360ci motor and an auto trans. I was thinking about buying some car and do an engine swap or something. I'm looking in the range about 1 grand or a little more for just the car. I found this one on craigslist, with the engine swap could I just keep the trans and clean it down to a strip only car?

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/1242837564.html

Edit: Woops double post, but here is a dart swinger already stripped down.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/1242645933.html

I'm not a big fan of something like that though, im more into the muscle cars with more of a beefed up rear quarter panels like a challenger, charger, or cuda. But finding a body for less than 5 grand is near impossible.

Actually I looked up some pictures of a 74 dart swinger and really like the body style...hmm are they light? that one is already stripped for drag racing.

Or is it even a 74? :)

After 72, nothing is light. If you want to go fast, forget trying to impress people with looks, get the lightest strongest body. Find a 67-71 2 door post Valiant. 2 door post Darts are also good, but there is the added weight of 3" more of wheelbase. Just my 2cents.

What about a valiant scamp? But I don't see any valiants around on craigslist close at all.

I still think that...

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/1242645933.html

...would be the best option because it is already stripped down, has a motor, trans, we have two 750 holley's here to replace the 650. it has a shift kit, line lock. A lot of the things i would have to do anyway. and I could probably easily get it for $800.

CL as says it's a 72, that's why I pointed out the 73+.

Scamp is a Dart with Duster front sheetmetal.

67-69 2 dr post cars are light as are 70-72 Duster/Demons

Valiants and Duster/Demon have a shorter wheelbase 108 vs 111 for Darts/Scamps as an added benefit.

if you want a cool drag car you need to get into an early a-body 64-66 dart or valiant if you strip it down you could probably get it under 3000 lbs. 8.75 axle bolts in, v-8 swap is fairly easy, you can bolt disk brakes onto them, and you won't see another one at the track. your 360/auto would be right at home in an early a. i have just a mild one in mine and its a blast on the street. also while they are not as easy to find as later a-bodies, they are usually much cheaper. there's a bunch on ebay right now for decent prices. i head somewhere on here that the 2dr post cars were the lightest by some 200 lbs.

you should check out funnycar farmer (Dale Snoke)'s altered wheelbase, straight axle 64. waaaaaayyyyyyy cool. its on the cover of the latest Hot Rod Deluxe and also there is a good pic of it on pg. 26 of the latest issue of Traditional Rod and Kulture with the orange merc on the cover.

imagine how sweet it would be to pull into the highschool parking lot in a 60's vintage gasser/AFX car. chicks would be alllll over that!
-Tim

I would buy that in a heartbeat if you weren't so far away, dad wouldn't buy anything without looking it up and down first.

I'm on a strict budget and im thinking that the 74 dart would be the best option. I'm not looking for something that is super light, just something I could learn more about. I've liked mopars my whole life but couldn't find one for a daily driver. And wouldn't mind something my dad and I can work on together. So I think that the dart would be the best, already has line lock, slicks, electric fuel pump, already stripped down, partial tub, and imo they aren't that bad looking.

Put some glass bumpers on the 74 Dart and a set of light weight bumper mounts and it will be around the same weight as any other year Dart. It will make in to a great drag car.

Thanks, just have to ask dad, hopefully we can talk him down to 800 or so.
:tongue8:

BTW, the 2nd link in your sig is broken.

Well, I showed my add for the 74 dart swinger to my dad today, i also went to google images and showed him what they looked like. He liked it but suggested that i should get something like that challenger, i have $1500, not $4500, and its not even for sale anymore. Chargers and Challengers are crazy expensive even without motor and trans. All I want is something to have fun with and work on though...Ill have enough money for it monday, so i will ask again then :)

OK should be all fixed. I hope. It is not much to look at though. Well not yet any way. LOL

I would own a Challenger my self but I am not a rich guy.

Yeah Challengers=$$$

But nice car, I saw a thread on what you are doing, good luck...it should look great, think of telling other people what it is.
'Look at my 75 Duster.'
"Dude, thats a 72 demon are you stupid?"
'That's what you think...'

-
Back