Drag Racing has lost another legend

-

Chris3racing

Reaction score
A dear friend and Drag Racer, here in North Carolina, Mr. Billy "West" passed away last evening. Billy West was a legend among drag racers, especially MOPAR. He was an inductee into the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame. Billy always had a smile and loved to talk Mopar.

For those on this board who I have not met, in the 60's and 70's I was one of the racers who thought you could alway out run a mopar with a chevy. After being away from drag racing for over 30 years, I have just recently gone back to racing, with a Plymouth Duster, thanks to my son at the Mopar Speed Shop. We were at the Mopar's at the Rock Show and I was doing a little tune-up, several people were standing around and I heard this voice say "look under that Mopar hat, it took you 40 years to learn." I looked up to see that usual smile on Billy West's face. And yes he was pulling a little red wagon with a Chrysler 4 speed in it.

When Larry Davis published the book Super Stock Drag Racing the Family Sedan, inside the first pages is a little black and white photo of Billy West and Melvin Yow at Easy Street Drag Strip in North Carolina. One day I asked Billy if he would sign a photo in my book. He took the book, turned back the pages to that little photo of the early days and said "can I sign this one."

There are so many memories of Billy West and Drag Racing. God Bless You Billy West

we got big shoes to fill. one day we,ll be the ones doing the signing. Godspeed Billy.

Over the Past 8yrs I had the great pleasure to get to know Billy West very well thru our mutual friend Don Fezell. I was lucky to have had great times with Billy at every Carlisle event, York US 30 Show, and many others. We talked every Week, and sometimes nearly every night on the phone from Fezells Garage. Billy Always put a smile on my face, and I always looked forward to seeing him, or just talking on the phone. We talked late last week and he was still very positive on overcoming his illness. Billy was always a true Gentleman, and he will be missed deeply. God Bless "The Little Pilgrim"

Here is a feature in Super Stock Magazine from March 1965 and a Pic during the the same time period.

Copy of scan0001.jpg

Copy of scan0002.jpg

Copy of scan0003.jpg

Thanks to him and so many others that have shared so much. One of my mentors was Eddy Kanter from Mich. Ran Pontiac's years ago when they had the swiss cheese chassis.

yes he did.I bought some stuff from him off and on throught the years.My buddy mike new Billy well,and went to visit with him the night before he passed away.Mike said Billy seemed to be be happy and ok to be in the condition he was really in.He will be dearly missed by mopar guys all over.

-
Back