drain bolt on the oil pan seems to be leaking

-

2kids

Reaction score
drain bolt on the oil pan seems to be leaking would a self tapping plug be a good option to try - any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I would see about buying a new drain plug bolt before self tapping plug, or have you tried this already ?

okay - cool sounds like a good idea that I have not tried yet. Just got pissed and really wrenched it down...maybe that will work...lol

but if it doesn't I'll get a new bolt.

Thanks again

Try wrapping some teflon tape around the threads and do not tourque the bolt down too tight.

Try wrapping some teflon tape around the threads and do not tourque the bolt down too tight.

I would make sure not to over do the teflon tape around the threads and keep it close to the head of the bolt, Could the Teflon Tape get stuck in the oil pick up screen dustermaniac, Just wondering, I am in no way a tec here but just concerned :happy10: There is a nylon washer that he can pick up at the Zone that may help.

Does it have a sealing washer on it? You can get a nice washer for it with impregnated rubber on it to seal. I said impregnated. heh heh heh huh huh huh. I wouldn't continue on with the path you seem to be choosing though. If that's the case then you may as well get a bigger hammer. lol

mine had a fiber washer that split apart and left a thin part on pan put new bolt washer in did not notice old part and it leaked. found when i removed plug to add teflon tape.

got a new bolt (much longer) with a gasket on it and it worked great - not as cool looking as the original but for now I'll go with it to stop the leak in the garage over the winter.

Might just through a gasket on the old one on the next oil change to see if that does the job for it too.

Thanks again!

I would only use the teflon tape around the base of the threads, not towards the tip of the bolt so as to avoid getting any tape into the pan. My wife's Bronco was leaking at the plug, and even with a new plug with "O" ring style gasket on the new bolt, it was still weeping oil out. I wrapped the threads with some teflon tape near the base of the bolt and it sealed the leak.

teflon tape is NOT the fix. teflon tape is used for tapered threads found on pipe. the purpose of teflon is to lubricate the threads to alow them to be tightened down till the tapers ( male and female) mate and form a seal. it allows the threads to tighten without galling. it is not for sealing bolt threads.
if your oil pan bolt is not sealing you can get a new proper bolt for it. if the pan threads are bad you can get an oversize bolt that was designed to cut new threads slightly larger than the orginal.

-
Back