"Dressing down" the torsion bars.

-

yellowghost

Reaction score
Would anybody know what is a safe way to remove surface rust from the torsion bars. My understanding is that its not good to gouge or leave any big gashes in them, but is a rust stripper wheel ok? The black 3M rust/ paint stripping wheels.

Thanks
Jeff

How about making yourself a trough out of PVC pipe and setting them in a "vat" of muriatic acid. Just go to the hardware store and get yourself a piece of PVC, saw it in half down the middle, buy 2 caps and glue them on and get a gallon of muriatic while you're there. It is in the pool cleaning area. Muriatic acid will not only remove surface rust, but will "etch" the metal to provide better adhesion for your final coating. What coating you say??? Well, you can use your handy dandy trough and dip them in chassis black, replicating the factory dipping method. Just a thought!!! Geof

I sell cleaned up torsion bars on a regular basis. I use a chemical paint stripper (sometimes it takes two coats to get the "drips"), then the rotating wire brush wheel on the bench grinder. They always turn out very well.

Thanks guys. Yeah I got em cleaned up as much as I could with the rust wheel. Then brushed this rust remover stuff on the rusty spots, then primed and painted them. The acid idea scares me now, as I have learned that this will attack the metal as well as the rust. I was going to use electrolisis on them, but did not have a big enough basket to hold the torsion bar submerged.

-
Back