Drill & Tap Intake?

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put a gauge set in my 68 Dart. The 3/8npt mechanical temp sensor adapter doesn't fit the inlet on my air gap intake. It will fit the inlet on the water neck. Does it matter what side of the thermostat the sensor is on? Can I drill and tap the intake with it on the engine?

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Plenty of meat there to do it. I'd say you might want to set it up for a bung adapter anyways because of the depth, but... wait ...they do sell extended bung adapters, so.. look there.

I have the 3/8 female to 3/8 male adapter. I should have screwed it on the sensor for the pics. I think it will work without the extended adapter.

IMG_0305.JPG

I put a gauge set in my 68 Dart. The 3/8npt mechanical temp sensor adapter doesn't fit the inlet on my air gap intake. It will fit the inlet on the water neck. Does it matter what side of the thermostat the sensor is on? Can I drill and tap the intake with it on the engine?

View attachment 1715980299

View attachment 1715980271

I did it, no problem.
Doesn’t matter which side, but for accuracy of the gauge you want the sensor in the water stream like dom shows.

31161788-CEC5-4172-8BAA-467BAD8E37E5.png

Yep. Depth was an issue on my LD4B. I had some adapters but decided it would look hideous . So I gave the gauge to a friend and bought an electric gauge instead.

If the sending unit is before the thermostat, it'll register water temp as the engine heats up. If it's after the thermostat, it'll register the temp after the thermostat opens.

I put the sensor in today. I could not get the 3/8 plug out so I just drilled it plug and all. I almost tapped it too deep. The adapter is about one turn from bottoming out. I tapped a straw onto the end of my shopvac to suck all the chips out.
I started it and got it heated up with no leaks. Thanks FABO for the advice.

IMG_0307.JPG

-
Back