Drip Rail Damage

-

photorep

Reaction score
1974 Scamp...previous owner(s) painted the drip rails above the windows the same color as the car. I stripped the drivers side and polished it and it came out great. Today I stripped the passenger side and it was looking good until I started on the piece next to the windshield. Under the paint was filler and the rail looked pitted. I dug into the pits and found some rust and in one part there was a hole all the way through...see the pix.

So....what do I do...replace the rail(is that possible) or just paint it when I do the car and live without the trim I was hoping for??

Attachments

• drip rail.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 146
  • drip rail pit.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 148
Just get the stainless trim that's supposed to cover that. If this is where I think it is... above the side windows, right? (Before doing that, I'd get rid of all the rust, then weld the hole shut, treat the rest of the pits real well after removing all traces of rust, then epoxy prime and paint it so it doesn't get worse).

It is above the side window...the part that slopes down next to the windshield. It looks as though the stainless trim is part of the frame that the door closes into and I don't see a way to remove it and replace without major surgery on the door frame..I don't have the skills for that. What stainless trim are you referring to. It is the stainless that is on there which has the rust and pits.

There is another piece of stainless that goes on the drip rail itself

The one you are refering to PHOTREP is the stainless that secures the weather stripping and is seen under the drip rail

Yeah, once you have the stainless trim on there, you won't see the holes you're talking about. If possible, I'd still weld that one little hole closed though, just for peace of mind so water doesn't go in between the drip rail and the driprail trim and rot one or the other. Or plug it up somehow before priming and painting it.

I was more concerned about the drip rail itself, not the trim pieces. I don't think it's a huge concern though, I'd just do whatever possible to seal up and protect things as a matter of course, just because doing something right is better than doing something not right!

Anybody here on FABO have these pieces for my trim?
Or...what company should I check with..Year one didn't have it.

Post up an ad in wanted, or just watch the for sale section, they turn up pretty regularly. Do a look through now, I swear there was some up for sale this week if I'm remembering right.

-
Back