Drip rail sealant?

-

cudascott

It’s a sickness!
Reaction score
What type of sealant was used to seal the roof seam in the drip rail? I need to try to remove the old stuff to clean up the metal and paint then need to seal it
back. Anyone have a tip on the best way to remove the old?

I use this seam sealer but have used many brands in the past. Dynatron 552 Brushable Gray Seam Sealer This and 3M caulking tube product are my go to products though.

I use an old 1/4" wood chisel with the corners softened to pop the old stuff out. After somewhere near 40 years it is usually hard enough to pop out in chunks. If not a heat gun will help.

I used a wire wheel on a die grinder with rpm turned down to remove old stuff. Haven't put sealer back in yet. But primed with epoxy primer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 304
when you put the new sealer in. lay down 2 layer thick of quality masking tape on both edges. then lay your sealer in. I wear a latex glove and get a small cup of mineral spirits handy. spread/smooth it out with your finger first. dont need it very thick. then dip finger in mineral spirits and use very light pressure to even it all out and make smooth. let it start to tack up a bit then go back and peel off your tape. this will leave a nice sharp line in the channel and will make it look alot better.

I knew I could count on you guys thanks for the helpful info. I'll get right on it

I use this stuff and it works great and holds out. It's a greenish colour and sucks right into the seam so two coats is usually necessary. Just wait until the first coat is dry before applying more. I do exactly that younggun2.0 suggested except I don't use any solvents on my finger and end up with the stuff stuck on my finger for a few days!

null_zps9f37a0e4.jpg

I use this stuff and it works great and holds out. It's a greenish colour and sucks right into the seam so two coats is usually necessary. Just wait until the first coat is dry before applying more. I do exactly that younggun2.0 suggested except I don't use any solvents on my finger and end up with the stuff stuck on my finger for a few days!

null_zps9f37a0e4.jpg

That's why young gun uses latex gloves.

-
Back