Drive shaft length

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
I bought a 8 1/4 to replace the 7 1/4 in my 72 Valiant last weekend. I swapped out the six for a 360/904 a year ago. I have some nice looking small bolt pattern wheels I really liked but it's time to move up to the better rear end and disc brake's I have. Unfortunately the donor car didn't have the drive shaft. Will any drive shaft work if it's out of a 70-76 A body with an
8 1/4 and 904? Does anyone know the correct length I'd need? I do have a drive shaft out of a 79 Newport I can have shortened if I can't find one. Thanks.

74 dart has a different wheel base than my 68 (was checkin it out to steel the shaft for my transfer i am going from a 360/904/8.25 combo to a 360/727/8.25 combo.

if i had a jack on me or the shaft out i would measure it for ya, sadly it will be awhile before i get to the point i can get a measurement for you (i.e. when i put the 727 in to find out how short I need to cut mine down)

Thanks. I remembered I had a book titled Chrysler Muscle Car parts interchange manual. If it can be trusted it said the length was 48.89 for Dart Sport, Valiant, except Scamp or Brougham models. For some reason the wheel base must be different. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one in a "Recycle Yard". There seems to be a fair amount of A bodies in Oregon.

On that same subject,will the driveshaft from our 225/904 work in our 360/904 that we are building?

tranmission crossmembers are in one location.

so...

I am going to hesitate a guess that since the tranny will be bolting into the same place, and if it is the same length, that you should be ok.

the key is transmission lengths, as well as rear end dimensions.

Mr.7Duster3, The drive shaft I've beem using for my car (360/904) was the same one for the six because I'm still using the 7 1/4. I did some more reading and in looks like you can't swap a drive shaft from a Duster into a Valiant because the wheel base is 108" for the Duster and 111" for the Valiant. That's just what I read I have'nt measured it on the Duster I have.

Your '72 Valiant has the same wheelbase as the Duster @ 108" Valiants had the 108" wheel base thru '73 then they were the same as the Dart/Scamp. If your car is a Scamp the wheelbase starting '71 is the same as the Dart @ 111" So this means you need to find an 8 1/4 driveline out of a car no later than '73 in a Valiant or a '73-'76 Duster/Dart Sport. Or you can shorten your driveline 1.6" then it would be the correct length.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, Good thing the drive shaft was gone or I'd pay for something that wouldn't work. One other thing. This rear end is almost 2" narrow than my 72. Does anyone know if 15" cop car wheels work okay with this set-up? I can get four of them from a friend. I was wondering if the back spacing was okay.

-
Back