Drive Shaft Length

-

pa karp

Reaction score
What should be the correct drive shaft length for a '69 340 'Cuda 4 speed 8 3/4 rear end? I am chasing a vibration problem.

Thanks

Pa karp

Thanks! I am at less then 48"s. I can move the front yoke up and down by hand. U joints are new and the drive shaft has been balanced.

I have a severe vibration problem at about 60. It multiplies when i decelerate, especially if I shift into neutral. Time to lengthen the drive shaft!

Pa karp

Did you do some kind of swap and not measure it?

This is why it is imperative to contact a shop and ask them how they want it measured, from what point to what point.

I'd say if you can move the slip yoke up and down, you've found your vibration.

Don't know if they would be the same but a 69 dart same set up would be 51.90 - 52.00" maybe someone else could chime in, but I think you might be short, I got my info from crackedback just an FYI

The drive shaft came with the car. Putting it together has been a learning expierience!

I have had several issues to deal with getting the car running, this just one of them. I will get the shop that did the balancing to do the correct measurements and figure out how much I need to extend it.

Isn't the wheel base longer on the Dart? That would explain the longer drive shaft.

Thanks,

Pa karp

The drive shaft came with the car. Putting it together has been a learning expierience!

I have had several issues to deal with getting the car running, this just one of them. I will get the shop that did the balancing to do the correct measurements and figure out how much I need to extend it.

You should be able to measure it, just make sure you have the full weight of the car on the rear when you do, jack stands under the axle tubes.

Ask the shop where they want you to measure from, unless you are just gonna drive it there.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the 48.60" came from the second generation Barracuda resto manual, the best source I have found on gen2 Barracudas so I'm very confident, but if anyone here at FABO has the original driveshaft on this combo it'd be great to have it confirmed.

Thanks for the responses! I do have the chart. I took the drive shaft to my local shop and they measured it for length, it is at 48.50, which is within spec.

Now, the next question is what is the factory recommended pinion angle that I should have? The car has the original springs and has extended shackles in the back mounts. The springs have settled.

I know there are shim kits for the spring perches to correct the pinion angle. This very well could be the issue.

Thanks

Pa karp

-
Back