Drive shaft measurement

-

NBDART

Reaction score
HELLO does any one know the length of the dry shaft of a 69 dart gts (340,727.8 3/4 rear end.) ON my 70 dart I measure 48 1/2 inchs from center to center of the universals ( 70 dart has same combination).

All A bodies with the small block V8 should be alike with the same transmission and rear end combo. The thing that changes the drive shaft length is the different transmissions and rear ends available. Around the 70's you had 3 rear ends and 3 transmissions so there were quite a few combinations.
I am guessing that the dry shaft is the same as the drive shaft.

2 door plymouth a bodies-up to 69 barracuda, duster, valiant + 2 door dodge dart, demon, dart sport are all 108" wheelbase

2 door plymouth a bodies-up to 69 barracuda, duster, valiant + 2 door dodge dart, demon, dart sport are all 108" wheelbase

2 door Dodge Darts are not 108" WB. At least not the 70+ models

The OP's car is a 111" wheelbase. Shaft should be about 47.75"

Wheelbase has nothing to do with shaft length

Sure it doesn't... You're so wrong on that one.

727/8.75 in a 70 Dart and same in a 70 duster have the same driveshaft length. Not a fricken chance. Difference is the wheel base.

What you measure is what it will be, only you know what you need. Production tolerances were all over the place.

727/8.75 in a 70 Dart and same in a 70 duster have the same driveshaft length. Not a fricken chance. Difference is the wheel base.

..........I have to side with crackedback on this 1......3 inches difference ....kim......

All A bodies with the small block V8 should be alike with the same transmission and rear end combo. The thing that changes the drive shaft length is the different transmissions and rear ends available. Around the 70's you had 3 rear ends and 3 transmissions so there were quite a few combinations.
I am guessing that the dry shaft is the same as the drive shaft.

Just an FYI'er. . . Mancini will no longer make drive shafts based on model and equipment. They insist on an accurate measurement and if it's wrong you eat it.

BTW, personally I hate a "dry shaft".

Wheel base does not dictate where the trans and motor are located, the motor and trans dimension to the diff are what makes the length of the shaft, the wheel base doesn't. Sure a long bed truck may have a longer shaft than a short bed, and that is not always true. However you DO NOT measure wheel base to get your driveshaft length... AGAIN i repeat you do not measure or use wheelbase to figure your driveshaft length, if you want to be a wiseass for internet purposes then make the quote above.
The motor and trans location to diff is what determines length.

So for the quote saying otherwise here you go on wheelbase not dictating driveline length...

Having a long bed with a cummins and 4x is actually the same length as a shortbed with a 5.7 and 4x... so how does wheelbase work ? . It must have gotten confused somehow...

1 70 Coro is 42.5"
The same wheelbase 70 coro with a different driveline is 43.5... the wheelbase didn't change like the trucks did...............but AMAZINGLY look what happened here

So wheelbase is not what you should be worried about when measuring a driveshaft.
If you do, well you'll be spending money twice.

Can't go by wheelbase.... Do Not go by wheelbase.... Ignore wheelbase

. Just take your tape measure and measure your DRIVELINE.... stop being lazy , you are GOING to have to get under the car and measure, or spend money several times on listening to internet guessing and wheelbase dimensions....

MY 74 MORE DOOR IS A 110 WHEELBASE FRONT WHEEL TO REAR WHEEL, Took a while to find sub frame connectors for it.

Wheel base does not dictate where the trans and motor are located, the motor and trans dimension to the diff are what makes the length of the shaft, the wheel base doesn't. Sure a long bed truck may have a longer shaft than a short bed, and that is not always true. However you DO NOT measure wheel base to get your driveshaft length... AGAIN i repeat you do not measure or use wheelbase to figure your driveshaft length, if you want to be a wiseass for internet purposes then make the quote above.

So for the quote saying otherwise here you go on wheelbase not dictating driveline length...

Having a long bed with a cummins and 4x is actually the same length as a shortbed with a 5.7 and 4x... so how does wheelbase work ? . It must have gotten confused somehow...

1 70 Coro is 42.5"
The same wheelbase 70 coro with a different driveline is 43.5... the wheelbase didn't change like the trucks did...............but AMAZINGLY look what happened here

So wheelbase is not what you should be worried about when measuring a driveshaft.

. Just take your tape measure and measure your DRIVELINE.... stop being lazy , you are GOING to have to get under the car and measure, or spend money several times on listening to internet guessing and wheelbase dimensions....

You're still wrong as the day is long on this one. I'm sure the factory measured every driveshaft for all cars rolling off the line... LMAO You're being pompous AGAIN! A 70 Swinger 340 with a 727/8.75 has a driveshaft that is 3" longer than a Duster with the same trans/rear set up. Wheelbase difference on the two cars = 3". How can that be??? Factory has driveshaft lengths for these cars in the parts books.... hmmmmm they don't know what they are doing.

We aren't talking about stuff other than an A body car. I'm sure mopar made a different K frame and trans crossmember on a this guys dart to move the engine back 3". Get real. Another waste of bandwidth from you except one thing, measure.

Don't worry about a stupid reality twisting reply that is all too common for you, it will only further demonstrate you can't admit you are wrong here. Blovate away, senor gasbag.

Back to ignore for you again. Why I took you off ignore is my error and won't happen again. :cheers:

1 70 Coro is 42.5"

you really misunderstood

it was wrongly stated that all a bodies with a v8 have the same driveshaft length then all 2 doors then again all plymouths.

67-72 a bodies have two different wheel bases 108 and 111"

valiant 2 doors, barracudas, dusters, demons, and dart sedans (possibly not though there a little odd) are all 108. valiant 4 doors, darts, and scamps are 111.

people were just correcting that because in the case of our cars a driveshaft from a duster will not fit a dart but will fit a valiant or barracuda with the same combo

like combo and wb is good
different combo same wb no go
different combo and wb is a possibility but why risk it

I TOTALLY AGREE just measure it.

its not hard to do unless the car is not available or in peaces

Don't worry about a stupid reality twisting reply that is all too common for you, it will only further demonstrate you can't admit you are wrong here. Blovate away, senor gasbag.

Back to ignore for you again. Why I took you off ignore is my error and won't happen again. :cheers:

He'd fit right in News & Politics!

wow and some mod deleted my post from this thread when they moved it to this forum as being not helpful , to the mod responsible I'm sure my little dig at the OP's repeated spelling error was just as helpful as the current pissing contest jeesh !

You're still wrong as the day is long on this one. I'm sure the factory measured every driveshaft for all cars rolling off the line... LMAO You're being pompous AGAIN! A 70 Swinger 340 with a 727/8.75 has a driveshaft that is 3" longer than a Duster with the same trans/rear set up. Wheelbase difference on the two cars = 3". How can that be??? Factory has driveshaft lengths for these cars in the parts books.... hmmmmm they don't know what they are doing.

We aren't talking about stuff other than an A body car. I'm sure mopar made a different K frame and trans crossmember on a this guys dart to move the engine back 3". Get real. Another waste of bandwidth from you except one thing, measure.

So you're telling people to measure the wheelbase and then figure the driveshaft length because if you have a 111" wheelbase and a 340 and 727 and 8.75 that the shaft length will be what is printed in that book.

Ok so everyone measure your wheelbase and then measure the driveline length, what a utterly stupid waste of time. and trusting books with numerous proven mistakes is just as dumb.

Im not going to say im wrong for some dopey idea you have, i have seen more than once the books are wrong which is why every car is measured....
IGNORE any wheelbase dimensions and measure the driveline...

.The only waste of bandwidth is telling people to go by wheelbase to figure driveline length... it's just a simply dumb idea to mention.
you should ignore most threads bringing up things that aren't necessary.

you really misunderstood

I TOTALLY AGREE just measure it.

its not hard to do unless the car is not available or in peaces

I didn't misunderstand, who cares what the wheelbase is, it isn't going to help you get to a definite dimension. It doesn't matter what it is, saying you have 111" or 108" means nothing, unless you know the dimension the motor is bolted to in relation to that front centerline and then the trans length and then diff center to yoke dimension, any other answer than measuring the trans to yoke distance is all the matters.

You as are cracked are trusting that books which have had numerous misprints to be correct. They aren't correct, i have done many of them and they are off... So are wheelbases.

So again, who cares what the wheelbase is. It doesn't matter.

It DOES matter what the wheelbase is. With the same drivetrain, the Dodge will have a longer driveshaft compared to the Plymouth. Yes the engine/trans is in the same position in relationship to the firewall BUT, from there back, the floorpan is longer which in turn moves the rear end farther back. Pull up the back seat on a Dart and you can see where they lengthened the floorpan.

-
Back