Drive train swapping from an A body to a B body

-

PScamp74

Reaction score
I have a general question for y'all; I have scored a 73 Charger SE and was hoping to see how much trouble it would be to swap over any of the drive train into my 74 Scamp? How much of it can I use is what I'm asking I suppose....Or, would I be better off building the Charger too?

Rear end is wider, so would have to narrow to fit A body. Manual transmissions have different shorter tail housing. Are the main ones.

I even like the idea of putting in the floor shifter? But the Charger is not that bad either...I may end up adding another one to the build list and just have two Mopars...lol

I'm guessing it is a 3187/904?
I'm not sure yet, but I would agree..

IMG_20220503_184858.jpg

What motor / transmission is in the charger and is the scamp?

Edit, that’s a small block. Look under the drivers side head on the front of the block, should be some numbers stamped there. Also post a photo of the transmission oil pan.

Scamp has a 225, Charger has a V8.., that's all I know at this time, haven't gone to get it yet, have a trade locked in but until I look it over a bit more I won't have details. But it's definitely an SE if that matters on which motor came with it.

K frames are not the same, so you’ll have to find the conversion mounts or a V8 k frame. But a small block will slide right in the scamp…

I have a general question for y'all; I have scored a 73 Charger SE and was hoping to see how much trouble it would be to swap over any of the drive train into my 74 Scamp? How much of it can I use is what I'm asking I suppose....Or, would I be better off building the Charger too?
This is all I know of it just now, gonna be a couple days before I go get it.

IMG_20220503_184847.jpg

IMG_20220503_184852.jpg

IMG_20220503_184858.jpg

IMG_20220503_184903.jpg

IMG_20220503_184832.jpg

IMG_20220503_184835.jpg

IMG_20220503_184910.jpg

K frames are not the same, so you’ll have to find the conversion mounts or a V8 k frame. But a small block will slide right in the scamp…
Right, right, I seen from some long nights reading forums here that the motors are fairly easy to swap out, especially small block. I suppose I'll know more when I actually get the car.

Edit, that’s a small block. Look under the drivers side head on the front of the block, should be some numbers stamped there. Also post a photo of the transmission oil pan.
Yes, yes, yes.. that's what I need to know... is there anything special or specific to look for on the car to decide whether to build or part out??

If it has a motor, trans and everything does not look too bad and you can get it for a 1,000. You’ll easily double your money and some…
I'mma sure look at it when I go tomorrow or the next.. I'm trading a 74.AMC Javelin for the Charger, basically in the same shape but all the interior is in it.

Charger looks pretty solid from what I can see. If it has a title I'd save it for sure.
The more I look at it the more I can see myself having two running Mopars... might not be able to part it out when I actually see it in person

The more I look at it the more I can see myself having two running Mopars... might not be able to part it out when I actually see it in person

My dumbass has 4 a bodies. It’s had to say no when their cheap… Think it’s 2 too many. It’s like kids, the more ya have the more mouths you have to feed…

-
Back