Drivers Mirror Mounting - Location 69 Dart

-

billsdartgt

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I got my 69 Dart it has a 68 drivers door and from the numbers I found a 70ish rally mirror. I bought a set of stock type mirrors and the holes in the door are off. I wanted to know if someone could give me any dimension I might be able to use to get the mirror in the right location before I drill any more holes than whats there. I could probably make it work but was also going to use the driver side as the basis for where the passenger side goes, it doesn't have a mirror now.

As the saying goes - measure twice - drill once - oh but for cars its measure twice - drill once - repair - start over - then do it right LOL

heres a pict of what I have now

IMG_0122.JPG

My stock 67 dart has the remote mirror.

The screw hole (the one visible in the photo) is 12-3/4 to 12-7/8 from the leading edge of the front of the door.

s-l400.png

And when the vent window is fully open it is about 1/2" from the mirror glass

The holes on your door look right

Last edited:
looks like mine, heres a couple of photos from ebay where I bought the mirrors. The cables go down in the one hole on the door meant for the stud but the stud hits and the screw hole through the top doesn't line up. I could add a washer to the stud and drill a new hole for the front screw but wanted to check position, I will look at that measurement you have tomorrow night Thanks,

s-l1600.jpg
s-l16001.jpg

How ironic, 521 restorations is run by a neighbor of mine. Really good guy and no I do not get a discount:(

I haven't taken the side mirror off, not sure how the front (toward the front of the car) of the mirror is attached.
Might you make a metal plate the same shape as the gasket and after making the holes in the door correct, put it inside the door to be a backer for the screws etc.

That's sort of what I was thinking, will check that dimension you noted first, will use that as a base and go from there.

I have bought several things from the 521 resto ebay store, decent prices, great cust service and so far everything seems pretty good quality.

went back and took a few measurements, the 12 7/8 is the exact measurement I have for the exposed screw like you showed and mentioned above and the stud will also work in the existing hole. I am going to check opening/closing the vent window, if no issues, one new hole will need to be drilled, I will of course have to get over the anxiety of doing so, after I confirm everything I will wait a day or two then recheck, impulse cutting and drilling doesn't always work out for me.

Thanks for the time and effort to get me the info, it is just what I was hoping to get.!

-
Back