driveshaft for 440/727 for 1970 dart

-

440nika

Reaction score
I am currently putting a 440 with a 727 trans out of a 1972 imperial into my 1970 dart swinger with a 8 3/4 rearend. does anyone know what driveshaft will fit this conversion or do i have to have one custom made. Thanks

Years back I was told to use a shaft from a 340/727 as long as your 727 is in the factory position, yea well try finding one. All things considered, such as yokes and length I'd recomment getting one made, that's what I did and it's a whole lot less hassle.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I'm running into the same problem with the cooling situation "What radiator should I use". The 440 has the inlet and outlet hoses switched of what the factory 318 radiator has. I need passenger top, drivers bottom hose location and 22" radiator big enough to cool 440 motor.Thanks for helping out!!!!!!!!!!

Just use a 26" b-body radiator and fan shroud. You'll need to drill new mounting holes, and use a cutoff wheel to open up the core support for the wider radiator, but it really isn't that big of a job.

Yeah, don't waste time looking for a driveshaft. New, better, stronger with 3" seamless tubing can be had custom made for between 2-300, depending on what parts you supply. The slip yokes are expensive. Measure for it after the tranny is in with the suspension unloaded, so you're using all but an eighth inch of the spline and it will be as strong as you can possibly have it. You'll need it with the 440 if you have any traction.

440nika said:
Thanks Terry, I'm running into the same problem with the cooling situation "What radiator should I use". The 440 has the inlet and outlet hoses switched of what the factory 318 radiator has. I need passenger top, drivers bottom hose location and 22" radiator big enough to cool 440 motor.Thanks for helping out!!!!!!!!!!

Like dusterdon said make sure it's a 3 row 26" which can be had at local wreckers after shopping around or you can go to usradiator.com and get one with almost any hose connection location.

Terry

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is greatly appreciated to hear from guys that know how to build mopars. I will be asking questions as my build procedes and passing on the knowledge that I learn here to others that ask questions in the future. Dave

-
Back