driveshaft Length HELP ASAP!!

-
I am pretty sure you cannot do it like that without the use of CAD....so do it the old fashioned way measure from the rear tip of the tranny to the center of the ujoint...typically the flat that the bolts go into and subtract an inch or even 1.5 inches and you will be OK......

48.96 seems short. With a 904 and Dana, mine is right at 48". I'm probably wrong, but I think the Dana is more than an inch longer on the pinion than an 8 3/4. I put it in and measured it, then had the driveshaft made.

DOES an 8.25 yoke fit in a 904? do the splines match up? may want to check that before you start cutting/welding

huh? I already had the yoke from the driveshaft in the car with the 904 i already had.

I dont have the car here to measure the car is 500 miles away

48.96 seems short. With a 904 and Dana, mine is right at 48". I'm probably wrong, but I think the Dana is more than an inch longer on the pinion than an 8 3/4. I put it in and measured it, then had the driveshaft made.

if that seems short maybe I dont even need to shorten my driveshaft? I think its best if I jsut take it home with me and measure it

From what I remember the 904 and 4 speed share the same driveshaft length. So it looks like you found what you need.

if all thats changing is the rear then you need to shorten the driveshaft you have .66 inches the centerline of the 8.25 to center of the yoke is 11.69 while it is 12.35 on the 8.75 thus a difference of .66 it your front spring hangers will let you you can drill the holes that much further back and weld up the front of the holes moving the rear back so your driveshaft will work if the wheelwells allow. cheap and easy.

i just called the shop and they said from center to center of each u joint it measured 48in so I dont think I need to even cut it

I can believe that as its only a hair over a half inch different.theres probably that much play in the trans slip yoke

i just called the shop and they said from center to center of each u joint it measured 48in so I dont think I need to even cut it

If it measures 48" with the yoke pushed all the way in the transmission, then you need it shorter. If they pushed the yoke all the way in, then pulled it out 1" (or maybe 1 1/2") and came up with 48", then 48 is it. Like someone else mentioned, if the DS is too long by an inch or less, you could move your axle back. That will give you the room you need for the drive shaft, and bigger tires if you ever plan on running some big slicks.

If it measures 48" with the yoke pushed all the way in the transmission, then you need it shorter. If they pushed the yoke all the way in, then pulled it out 1" (or maybe 1 1/2") and came up with 48", then 48 is it. Like someone else mentioned, if the DS is too long by an inch or less, you could move your axle back. That will give you the room you need for the drive shaft, and bigger tires if you ever plan on running some big slicks.

no.. It measures 48 out of the car from center of one u joint to the center of the other joint. but im going to take it home with me and see if it fits and measure

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant they measured from the pinion to the yoke u-joint centers, not the driveshaft itself. So if the driveshaft is 48", you should be good.

Could I use this :

1970-72 3.00 44.99 727 8-3/4 340 Duster Demon

Can I substitute 360 with 360 and '70 - '72 with'75 ?

Grassy

should be since the 727 is 4in longer then the 904 and abody 4 speed 833

-
Back