Driveshaft length?

-

RDJ

Reaction score
What would be the standard length for a driveshaft for a 67 Barracuda, 360 block, 727 trans, and 8 3/4 rear?

Also, when I go to measure, do I bottom out the slip yoke and then pull it out XX inches and measure from the center of the u-joints?

I'm going to take my driveshaft to a local driveline shop and have them make and balance my driveshaft, and I obviously want to measure correctly.

I'm not absolutely positive but I think my driveshaft is 45" center to center of the U-joints but measure yours to make sure. My combo is the same but my memory isn't perfect. LOL

To measure push the yoke all the way in and pull it out 5/8-3/4" then measure center to center of the U-joints. Make sure and have the car setting on all 4 tires just like it is when you drive it. If it's jacked up in the air with the rear hanging and you measure this way the driveshaft will be too long because it'll go back in some when you set it on the ground.

What would the actual physical length of the drive shaft be ?

Thanks
Ian.

Tracy is right there. The Dusters with the same wheelbase and trans/rear use a 44.99" center to center

What would the actual physical length of the drive shaft be ?

Thanks
Ian.

If your talking end to end I'm not sure. Never measured it that way. You really want to go by center to center anyway because the U-joint size makes a slight difference for end to end measurement.

Tracy is right there. The Dusters with the same wheelbase and trans/rear use a 44.99" center to center

Thanks for the confirm Rob.

Ok..going to the same direction but at a different angle.

If you are moving from a /6 with a 902 and a 7 what ever rear end to a 360/a727 and a 8 3/4..how much do you cut off to make it fit ?

Thanks
Ian.

Thanks for the replys. I measured and it was 45 7/8 from center of u-joint to u- joint. The driveline shop here is building me a whole new 3" shaft with new u-joints, balanced and painted for $200.

He said that the driveshaft I brought in had the "pushed-in" section where he would have had to cut it to shorten, so it wouldn't work.

RDJ,

Which would make the actual drive shaft how long ?

$ 200.00 seems like a great deal !

Ian.

My fool proof method for determining the length is to install motor and tranny and rear end. Load it on a trailer and take the whole program to the shop that's building your shaft and let them crawl under the car and take their own measurement. You may not have a trailer but this is fool proof and then haul it back home while they are building your shaft. $200 is a good price.
Small Block

Here it is, picked it up last week. Fits like a glove. All I brought in was the slip yoke.

S7300183.jpg

S7300184.jpg

-
Back