Driveshaft length

-

larry408

Reaction score
I pulled a motor and a 904 transmission from a 74 Dart 4-door Custom. I am going to put them in my 73 Dart Sport.What is the length of the driveshaft that I will need to use in it?

you will have to measure. Disco the slip yoke and slide it in the tranny about halfway(after the drivetrain is installed of course). Install the yoke on your rearend. Then measure from the center of the u-joint hole on one to the other and there you go. Good luck

Well, the center line of the axle shaft to the centerline of the rear universal or yoke, is 10.09" for the 7.25" rear end, and 11.69" for the 8.25" rear end. The difference in measurement between the two will determine your final driveshaft length. But, as 93toyota said, push the tranny end into the tailshaft until it bottoms and then back it out about 1 to 1.5" and then measure your distance from the center of the front u-joint to the center of the rear yoke. That's the only sure way of getting an accurate measurement. Actually, if you call the folks who will be shortening your driveshaft for you, they usually have their own way they want you to do the measurements, so that way there's no confusion on final length.

-
Back