Driveshaft Loop Options and Ideas

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im going to be installing a driveshaft loop in my 71 Scamp when I do the frame connectors this spring. A lot of the driveshaft loops I see are like the Lakewood style that are 4 pieces and bolt to the floor.

I would like to weld to the frame connectors instead of bolting it to the floor of the car. So far what Im finding is Im going to have to custom make the loop. I would like to see what you guys have done for the loop in your car. Or places that carry loops other than the Lakewood style.

Here are a couple. Going to the frame connector be careful of lever length.

Here's what I did on my car. 6 inch shedule 40 steel pipe and some 1/4" thick 2" wide runners.

Even if you attached the loop to your frame connectors, I'd still secure/bolt it somehow to the floor in between your frame and driveshaft

Thanks for those pics. Nice work on it all. The plus is I have the pipe at work

That looks nice and clean in the first pic, but what do you mean careful for the lever length?

The 6" pipe bolted to the floor looks simple enough and perhaps it wont be as bad as Im thinking to do it that way.

Lever length being important if a DS cuts loose and starts beating the inside of the loop, how far away are the attachment points. Same concept as a breaker bar, longer = more force at the other end.

I like the ones we've bought from US Car Tool. They bolt directly to the transmission cross member and there's no fab work involved. - No drilling holes in the floor of framework. It attaches with 2 of the bolts that are used to bolt in the cross member. I put one on our '68 Charger and my '67 Barracuda.

I looked at those, but I have the spool mount cross member and they say they will not work with that mount.

I looked at those, but I have the spool mount cross member and they say they will not work with that mount.

Someone in another thread says the Mancini unit won't fit with the biscuit mount...
Can someone clarify with first hand knowledge?
I need a loop and have a 72 biscuit trans mount.

Someone in another thread says the Mancini unit won't fit with the biscuit mount...
Can someone clarify with first hand knowledge?
I need a loop and have a 72 biscuit trans mount.

did mine like young guns.

4 piece loop welded to the frame ties.

Attachments

• Safety Loop and Cross Over.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Under Pass Side - 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 274
check out Speedway Motors for their version. used one in my race car for years and I know from experience they work! $30.00.

I chopped up a universal Lakewood style and welded it up

Attachments

• misc 570.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 288
  • misc 581.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 278
Nice work guys! I like the modification to the Lakewood loop. Much better than the bolt together!

I have all the parts in the garage for mine. Im doing what Crackedback did. 6" round, sch 40 pipe.

-
Back