driveshaft tunnel offset in the interior

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying this will inevitably be the dumbest question asked this week on FABO! When sitting in a 71 Duster, the tunnel is offset to the right correct? i know the drivetrain is offset, just wasnt sure if they just ran the shaft over to the right in the tunnel, or moved the whole tunnel over? the car has no drivetrain right now and hasnt for 4 years...so I cant go and look! I just bought a freshly reupholstered set of Corvette z06 seats in fashionable black leather, with power, and so far eyeballing an install is fighting me! Almost considering flattening out the floor on either side to make things work out better. The vette seat tracks are level and flat between the 4 corners, and a prior hacker punched so many seat holes into my floor, the fresh start looks like the best deal! Any opinions?:burnout:

Yes the tunnel is offset to the passenger side. Here's what I did to mount Caddy CTS seats. They have integral seat belts so I used box iron to make very strong mounts that will also be tied to frame connectors.
The box iron was split and re-welded to match the angle of the rockers that they are welded to. I got a little smarter on the second side, opening it can-opener style to reduce patching afterward.

Attachments

• CTS seat rails pass.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 138
  • CTS seat rail angle.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 131
  • CTS seat rail dr1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 135
  • CTS seats test fit.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 152
That isn't a bad idea, making a rect. Tube framework to mount thecseats and tie into my rockers and subframe connectors! I will look into that idea this week, thanks!

Hey you're welcome. Feel free to ask for details. The first side was very slow, trying to get things straight and level, second side MUCH faster, not quite complete yet. If your seats don't have integral seat belts it might be easier to just build your framework across from the rocker to the connector. I went with a long support tighed to the rocker for maximal strength.
A few well chosen slices into the curves in the floor and you can then flatten it with hammer and dolly where necessary and weld it back together.

-
Back