Driving without a kickdown?

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
I bought a kickdown cable kit for my '84 Dodge D50 (273 / 904 / 203) a few months ago and haven't been able to find where I put it.

My truck is just sitting around doing nothing, when I could be driving it while I search.

It has a 1971 TF904 / 1984 MA904 hybrid transmission in it, with a TF-2 Shift Kit, Slapstik shifter, slant 6 torque converter (higher stall for the 273). With the TF-2 couldn't I just manually shift it while I'm searching for the kickdown cable? I seem to recall reading in a mopar book once, about tying the kickdown lever forward or back to run without a kickdown in Semi-auto and full manual shift applications. Is my memory correct?

Here's my little baby

SANY0144.jpg

If I can't drive it around (without risking transmission damage) then I'll just let it sit until I do find where I put the kickdown cable.

If you do drive it and set the kick down where it does shift at a normal throttle (normal = not matting it) you can creep it around a bit, But I would be very careful doing this, you can burn your clutch pack up because of to low pump pressure that the valve lets pressure in that is needed ....I hope this make's sense.. Best to get the kick down installed, but I have dun this before.. Not good practice.

If you do drive it and set the kick down where it does shift at a normal throttle (normal = not matting it) you can creep it around a bit, But I would be very careful doing this, you can burn your clutch pack up because of to low pump pressure that the valve lets pressure in that is needed ....I hope this make's sense.. Best to get the kick down installed, but I have dun this before.. Not good practice.

Aint worth that then, appreciate the heads up on possible clutch damage. I went ahead and ordered another Kickdown Cable kit, and if I find my other one, well i can use that on another vehicle.

The little critter might not look like much, but it was my dad's first new truck, and it later became my first truck. Tons of sentimental value, that and it looks just plain awesome with 40" Tires and a 10k Winch on the front.

I'm looking forward to driving it again (last time I drove it was in September or October, when it had a 2.6L gas engine & 5-Speed in it), nothing like scaring the crap out of people in small cars :D

i have driven cars for years without a kickdown and manually shifting it. i have never lost a tranny . i never even knew people said it was bad for it until i got here. but i would NEVER recommend it !

i have driven cars for years without a kickdown and manually shifting it. i have never lost a tranny . i never even knew people said it was bad for it until i got here.

This is the first time I have seen you give bad advice but this is bad. Did you at least have the trams lever wired back?

This is the first time I have seen you give bad advice but this is bad. Did you at least have the trams lever wired back?

lol i was by no means saying it is ok daredevil, i guess i should have said that, my fault. i was just saying that i never knew it was bad until i read up on it here. and yes the trans kickdown lever was pulled back. i should have been more clear about it lol i will edit that one

Aint worth that then, appreciate the heads up on possible clutch damage. I went ahead and ordered another Kickdown Cable kit, and if I find my other one, well i can use that on another vehicle. I'm looking forward to driving it again (last time I drove it was in September or October, when it had a 2.6L gas engine & 5-Speed in it), nothing like scaring the crap out of people in small cars :D
that thing really looks like fun , im stoked to you see you gettin her runnin'

that thing really looks like fun , im stoked to you see you gettin her runnin'

Oh it is fun, Only drove it twice after I put the big tires on it though (had a 2.6L / 5-Speed in it) the 2.6 lost the oil pump (1 hour job to replace the oil pump) so I yanked out the 2.6 and dropped in a mildly built 273 small block.

Here it was a few years ago on a set of 33" tires (actually 32.5")

S5000163.jpg

At that time, I had a 2.5L Intercooled Turbo Diesel in the truck, this thing changes engines more often than some people change their underwear. :cheers: A small block is the last engine in it though, I may upgrade to a 318/360 down the road, but it will remain an LA powered truck from now on.

-
Back