Drone cameras, anyone have one?

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting one, but I still have a lot of research to do. It appears that there are many different manufacturers building them, and the prices are all over the place. I ran across this site that gives reviews for three different ones: http://heavy.com/tech/2015/06/top-b...surveillance-dji-inspire-yuneec-parrot-drone/ but I don't know if their reviews are biased or not.

I'm just looking for a decent "hobby" model, but high resolution photos would be important to me. This product brings a whole new catagory to photography. The possibilities are endless.

I have never flown any type of drone, or any type of RC aircraft for that matter. But the drones seem to have far superior capabilities. They use gps tracking systems and can return 'home' if you somehow lose it. Some models have two controllers; one for flight control, and one for camera control. Some cameras have a 3-axis gimbal mount, others have stationary, front view cameras. And the price can be from several thousand dollars (I've seen as high as $18k) to several hundred dollars.

They just look like a lot of fun to me, and I'm interested in the hobby aspect of it. Anybody else have one? Or any knowledge of them in general?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 108
I have a friend that has one. Loads of fun and they are actually easy to fly after an afternoon of practice. When your learning to fly them just do it in grass a few feet off the ground. He uses a go pro which you can get examples of quality for anywhere.

That's all I know about them haha

I have an el-cheapo one (I think) that I got for Christmas last year. Never been out of the box. It has a built in camera. If it was one of the ones I could mount my Go-Pro to, I would probably use it.

I have been looking at them as well.

What I have noticed, the less expensive ones take up to a couple of hours to charge and you might get 10 minutes flight time with a very short range away from the controller = no fun, IMO.

In order to get something decent with extended range and flight time you'll probably be up in the 1200 dollar range.

-
Back