Drop steering column to get gauge cluster out?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Do I have to drop the column to get the gauge cluster out?

My cluster is peeling, and generally looks bad. I want to take it out to paint and detail, and also so I can make a cardboard template for aftermarket gauge positioning.

:read2:

I can get mine out without dropping the column but you have more room if you unbolt the column from the dash and let it hang down.

I would think it's better to drop it especially if you are refinishing the assembly. You do not want to scratch anything although you may be able to just place a few layers of blue painters tape across the column to prevent any marks. BTW: What car is this for?

1976 Dart Lite.

Goal is to pull assembly, paint and detail, polish plastic, for now.
I want to create a cardboard mockup of current gauge location, for future aftermarket gauge placements. I will make cardboard templates of the gauge sizing, so I can check them out for clearance and layout when it is time to upgrade.

I'd really recommend dropping the column to avoid scratching the top of the cluster housing. This is especially true if you have a column mounted automatic quadrant.
I did this instrument panel by making an overlay. I can send you a tracing of the one I used. The toughest parts are around the ammeter and the speedometer.
The cluster was basically made by vacuum forming aluminum around the plastic. The woodgrain is cast into the plastic and was covered by a brown wash to create the effect. The black paint is semi-gloss.
Mr. G's in Fort Worth, TX can sell you a completely restored cluster housing (not the electronics). They also offer a woodgrain overlay, if that's all you need. They have done several pieces for me over the years. The quality and customer service is good. It's not the cheapest way to go, but it beats anything I could do on my own. :snakeman:

Dash_small.JPG

-
Back