drug home 65 cuda project ( assembly required!)

-
you are so right 67'cuda!! over the years I have seen SOooo many people pile $$$ into a resto only to sit around with it at the shows, and then it dawns on them: they want a car to drive and enjoy..... however, the show car.....drive it and it won't be competitive against the big $$ restos anylonger.... OR they will either have to sell the showcar to get a driver or keep the show poodle and get a car to drive and enjoy!???
i'm not putting down the car show crowd, and sometimes we only learn thru experience what " rows or boat"!?
a class for "drivers" is a good idea. but people being human, I can see some guy with a fully restored car, hauling it there on the trailer and unloading 2 blocks away and driving there??!! LOL

you are so right 67'cuda!! over the years I have seen SOooo many people pile $$$ into a resto only to sit around with it at the shows, and then it dawns on them: they want a car to drive and enjoy..... however, the show car.....drive it and it won't be competitive against the big $$ restos anylonger.... OR they will either have to sell the showcar to get a driver or keep the show poodle and get a car to drive and enjoy!???
i'm not putting down the car show crowd, and sometimes we only learn thru experience what " rows or boat"!?
a class for "drivers" is a good idea. but people being human, I can see some guy with a fully restored car, hauling it there on the trailer and unloading 2 blocks away and driving there??!! LOL

I had a friend who's wife used to examine the radiators of each car to tell which were the true daily drivers. Bugs or no bugs?

daily driver class is good idea...... but, human nature being what it is, some guy will take his show car, haul it in on his trailer, unload 2 blocks away and drive it to the show!!!???? LOL

at a car friends garage once, he had this HUGE car show trophy, I said "COOL"!! he said the story behind it was: he bought it for $10. figured instead of buyin a project, spending 5 years and $20,000 restoring it, then later selling it for $6000,,,,,, after wining the trophy, ,,,,, he'd just save that time and trouble!!??? LOL ( no true!)

I always thought that there should ba a classification at the car shows for true daily drivers. If you happen to be a guy that's put a lot of time and effort into your car and want to enjoy actually driving it, you can't compete with the trailer queens that spend their lives cooped up in garages. - And cars were really meant to be driven.

Amen brother !!!

trust me I know how $$$$ can go into one o f these old cars. if I was building a car to even atttent to make a profit, 1.. I would have to do 99% of the work myself and 2. I would have to be working on a car that warrants that in the first place. even then it could be tough.
I work on cars because I like the car and want it for a toy. I can't afford the $$$ some people put in them. I want a driver and could care less about a car show trophy. I admire the quality of cars and the work and investment,, some people restore, but......
this car came undercoated and it will get fresh undercoating. I personally have NO interest in putting it on its side to peal off undercoating so I can paint its bottom.
years ago when I built cars as my income, I had a guy with a boon truck, he would raise up each end and sandblast the bottom, (true). LOL but we are talking about building an M code runner, or V code e body.etc
this little cuda is one of my toys and hopefully when finished it will be a nice driver and if and when I sell it, I can at least get my money out of it...
its great to be able to buy all NEW stuff for the project, but I have to take the hotrodders apppproach and hunt boneyards, network car friends, sometimes do a little horsetrading, and mostly do all the work on it I can do.
like 65cudalover states: this is a hobby, have fun building the car, and make it a car you are willing to drive and thus enjoy!!!!!

When I go to a car show I'm not super critical about the small flaws that come with driving a car. I focus on how the car is set up. Whether or not the tire/wheel combination looks right, how much innovation went into the build, how rare it might be, etc, are the things that draw me to a car. If the car is set up really righteous and it's a trailer queen, - it'll draw my attention. But if it's set up the same way and has a few battle scars it's just as likely.

I started taking a few of our cars to shows last year for the first time. I was pretty sure there wasn't much of a chance of getting a trophy but I liked showing off some of our work and getting a chance to talk with other car guys. It was more enjoyable swapping stories when you could see one another's cars.

I guarantee you barbee6043, I'd give your Barracuda more than a passing glance if I saw it at a show. - battle scars or not.

I have a friend that has taken apart (too many to count) 80's Shelby Daytona. At he time,when I would go and visit him, I thought it was the same car he was working on. Until it was no longer blue but maroon. I only found out years later that he was driving one when it went off the road killing his first wife.

-
Back