drugs and alcohol abuse

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i have a friend that needs some help has anyone been there and could point me in the right way to help him dont need no preachers but could use real life help:banghead:pm me

Narconon and alanon are good places to get information, as a friend or family of an abuser.

First question is does your friend want help, if so get him to the local chapter of AA, if not convince him he needs help for all the obvious reasons. If it's still a no go contact AA and see if they'll set up an "intervention".

Age please ? We talked a friend to go to rehab and 5 of us foot the bill, he was there 8 days and we visited him some times twice everyday.
he seen so many people that was in bad shape and it woke him up at the age of 28 years old, he is now a graphic designer and cleaned his self up.
I believe he would be about 36 years old now.

and I quote demon seed : First question is does your friend want help?

The fact remains that your friend has to ask this question to himself, do I want to get straight?

I grew up in NYC and have seen many of my friends die at a young age and depending on what the substance is, depends on what should be done. You haven't given any details to what he is on or if he sees it as a problem. The only one who sees the problem at this moment is you, open up tell us more...

Well if he doesn't want help or thinks they don't have a problem its going to be a huge uphill battle for anyone to get through to them.

But hey if he want first hand knowledge of what he has to look forward to emotionally, physically and family wise I have lots of that........

Maybe through your local health department? I can sympathize. I was knee deep in cocaine in my early 20s. Were it not for a dear friend, I would surely be dead. He literally kicked my *** and got me off of it. No, I'm serious. I was out of work for a week because he beat my *** so bad. Sometimes it's THAT kinda intervention that does it. It did for me.

Ive been down this road myself with cocaine / alcohol and it wasn't a pretty story. I went to 2 treatment centers and even though they had great advise I still continued to use. I'm hard headed however. It is up to him or her to FINALLY make that decision. With the help of AA I have managed to get 9 yrs sober.

Ive been down this road myself with cocaine / alcohol and it wasn't a pretty story. I went to 2 treatment centers and even though they had great advise I still continued to use. I'm hard headed however. It is up to him or her to FINALLY make that decision. With the help of AA I have managed to get 9 yrs sober.

Congradulations Marland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother is an alcoholic and ive tried to get him help for years but he doesnt think he has a problem.he decided he was going to drink his age on his birthday.got up at 3am and drank till midnight (50) beers no problem no joke.One day before he destroys his liver I hope he will ask for help.

Way to go, dude. The alcohol never really bothered me. But I bet I snorted over 100,000 bucks worth of rare big block chebbie stuff. I'm talkin original aluminum head motors and all. I had it bad for the white stuff. I don't know why I quit, either. I just woke up one mornin and remember not wantin to do it anymore and I didn't. That was some time in 1986. I never saw rehab....although I'm sure I needed it. I've always said it was by the grace of God because I know I wasn't strong enough by myself.

Congradulations Marland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go, dude.

Thank you very much guys!

I try to help other alcoholics as much as possible. I don't tell them "you need to do this" or "you've got to do that" I just set down and tell them my story. How it was when I drank and drug, what made me finally get sober, and what it is like now. One alcoholic can relate to another alcoholic like no other can.... its just that simple.

I was just lucky enough to live .... some aren't going to make it. I know its sad to say but its the truth. I could go back out and never make it back. For a true alcoholic it is locked up, covered up or sober up. I have lost count of the friends I have met in AA and they chose to go back out.... they aren't with us no longer.

Been sober for 8 years. When I asked the only person in recovery I knew "What should I do?" He told me something that made no sense at the time. He said "I don't know what to advise you, but whatever you do....You need to do it for yourself" I know now that he meant I could not get sober for anybody else, and that eventually I would drink To, For, or At the reason I got sober.
He is going to have to find his own bottom before he will reach for help, and he see's it sobriety.....or jails, institutions, and death. I wish you luck, but I do not envy you

-
Back