drum brakes and moser axles

-
I ordered a set of these last week. Should be here on tuesday.

Part # M30-CST-A45 - A-Body, 8 3/4" Rear OEM Axle Shafts, Stock A-Body Drum Brake (Redrilled) -- 30 Spline
SKU: M30-CST-A45

Availability: In stock.

Dont know if the original poster ordered online or called. But I called when I ordered mine and they asked plenty of questions about my application, including wheather I wanted the A-body offset or something else. I told them I wanted to use my original A-body brakes and just redrill the drums. They said OK.

We'll see what mine look like when they show up this week.
I hope I dont have the same issue with the center register being a different size. Dont really want to spend a bunch of money on machine work. I'm running out of cash fast.
im with you on the cash end of it,i ordered mine through a local machine shop.thats the same part number as mine,hope you have better luck keep me informed,maybe i got a friday set and the wrong ones were sent

I just got mine today.
As you can see from the photo, the hub register is the same size on the Moser axles as on my old axles. (I checked it with calipers too)

Sorry, maybe you got the ones for the bigger B,C,body brakes.

It's a little weird I think, that on their website, they have that part number listed as an OEM style A-body axle, but with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. It says the length, number of splines, bolt pattern, etc, etc. As if this is an off the shelf item and you can just order that part number.
But when I called to order, they had all kinds of questions for me,,, like what length do I want, do I want 30 spline, do I want the A-body offset, or the B-body offset, etc.

Guess you have to call and answer all the questions when you order if you want to actually get what you think your ordering.

I've been working today on getting my bearings and retainers on, and my drums redrilled for the 4.5" bolt pattern. I'll post some more pics later, but have to run to pick up the wife from the airport.

Good luck
Scott

Attachments

• S5002715.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 166
I ordered a set of Moser axles for a narrowed 9.25 axle with 8.75 ends/bearing setup. I used backing plates from a '73 Dodge D100, bought 2.5" shoes, drums for the same vehicle. Everything bolted right up. I think most aftermarket axles are drilled for the big bolt pattern/center register since most people change from sbp to bbp anyway. The only thing Moser asked me was how long were my original axles. I'm very happy with how mine turned out.

most people ive talked to about this have never come across this either,i find it odd that the axles that milehighdart ordered and the ones i ordered have the same part number,yet their totally different.i guess it pays to order direct from moser but on a plus note i may solved my drum problem with a set off of a ford ranger.find out tonight. wish me luck!

CALL MOSER and find out what you have. If the other guy got the right axles it's reasonable to assume YOU GOT THE WRONG ONES!

Can you put the axle in the rear? If so do it and measure from the retaener mount face to the axle face. 2.25 is SBP, ~2.5 is BBP standoff.

You're reinventing the wheel here.

drums off of a 2003 ranger slid right on to the axles and fit the sbp plates,just have to check afew things and looks like it might just work.

Actually I'm having some trouble with my Moser axles too.

Although the center register is correct, and they seem to be A-body offset, I am having a problem
I installed new original type tapered roller bearings on both axles (after comparing my old axles to the new and it all looked correct).
When I install the axles into the houseing and try to adjust the endplay. I am left with about 1/8" of slop. I cranked the adjuster all the way in to get the endplay down to a few thousand's, but at that point the back side of the lug bolts are actually starting to interfere with the brakes. And when I go to the other side of the car, the drivers side axle still has about 1/8" of endplay
I think I've got the pass side adjusted in so far that it is bottoming out the thrust pin in the diff against the pin that holds it in place. Thats the only way I could have 0 endplay on the pass side, and still have 1/8" play on the drivers side.
I've already called Moser and tried to figure out whats up. They wanted me to re-measure everything, suggested that maybe the thrust block in the diff had broken. Or that I didnt have the bearings pressed all the way on.
But I can re-install my old axles and adjust the endplay just fine. !And I have double and triple checked that the new bearings are pressed on all the way.
I have measured my old axles and the new ones a hundred times, and cant figure out whats going on !
Very frustrated at this point.
Old axles are 27-11/16" from front of flange to end of axle.
New axles are 27-11/16 on one axle, and 27-3/4 on the other (thats quality control). But axles seem to short not too long.
Only measurement thats weird is if I measure from the back of the bearing retainer, to the end of the axle, I get about 1/8" difference between the two axles, and yet measureing from the backside of the flange to the back side of the bearing retaing ring, both measure the same ! (maybe one bearing is wider than the other ?
I'm at a total loss.
I could send the axles back (after destroying my new bearings to get them off), but I wouldn't know what to tell them so send me instead ? Or what to tell them is wrong with these ones. Either way to get replacements, I'd be looking at shipping both ways, probably paying a restocking fee, or some fee cause I want them to redo them. Besides buying another set of bearings.
SO
What I think I'm going to do, is drop the center section out, check the thrust pin (which I know is good), but I'm going to remove the thrust pin, reinstall the center chunk in the housing, and then I'll replace the factory type bearings with a new set of Green bearings. Then I wont have to mess with adjusting end play, or returning the axles or any of that.

If anyone has another suggestion I'm open to hearing about it.
I'm going to call Moser again tomorrow, to see if they can offer any other options, or see what they think, And I want to make sure the axles I bought can be used with the green bearings.

I'll keep yall posted !

Actually I'm having some trouble with my Moser axles too.

Although the center register is correct, and they seem to be A-body offset, I am having a problem
I installed new original type tapered roller bearings on both axles (after comparing my old axles to the new and it all looked correct).
When I install the axles into the houseing and try to adjust the endplay. I am left with about 1/8" of slop. I cranked the adjuster all the way in to get the endplay down to a few thousand's, but at that point the back side of the lug bolts are actually starting to interfere with the brakes. And when I go to the other side of the car, the drivers side axle still has about 1/8" of endplay
I think I've got the pass side adjusted in so far that it is bottoming out the thrust pin in the diff against the pin that holds it in place. Thats the only way I could have 0 endplay on the pass side, and still have 1/8" play on the drivers side.
I've already called Moser and tried to figure out whats up. They wanted me to re-measure everything, suggested that maybe the thrust block in the diff had broken. Or that I didnt have the bearings pressed all the way on.
But I can re-install my old axles and adjust the endplay just fine. !And I have double and triple checked that the new bearings are pressed on all the way.
I have measured my old axles and the new ones a hundred times, and cant figure out whats going on !
Very frustrated at this point.
Old axles are 27-11/16" from front of flange to end of axle.
New axles are 27-11/16 on one axle, and 27-3/4 on the other (thats quality control). But axles seem to short not too long.
Only measurement thats weird is if I measure from the back of the bearing retainer, to the end of the axle, I get about 1/8" difference between the two axles, and yet measureing from the backside of the flange to the back side of the bearing retaing ring, both measure the same ! (maybe one bearing is wider than the other ?
I'm at a total loss.
I could send the axles back (after destroying my new bearings to get them off), but I wouldn't know what to tell them so send me instead ? Or what to tell them is wrong with these ones. Either way to get replacements, I'd be looking at shipping both ways, probably paying a restocking fee, or some fee cause I want them to redo them. Besides buying another set of bearings.
SO
What I think I'm going to do, is drop the center section out, check the thrust pin (which I know is good), but I'm going to remove the thrust pin, reinstall the center chunk in the housing, and then I'll replace the factory type bearings with a new set of Green bearings. Then I wont have to mess with adjusting end play, or returning the axles or any of that.

If anyone has another suggestion I'm open to hearing about it.
I'm going to call Moser again tomorrow, to see if they can offer any other options, or see what they think, And I want to make sure the axles I bought can be used with the green bearings.

I'll keep yall posted !
oh man that sucks! i went with the green bearings to stay away from that situation. its gettin strange that the scariest part of ordering anything is the shipping.i ordered axles and bearings and by the time they got hear i had shipping,boarder fees,exchange rates,taxes and when all was said and done i was out $740.00.(and still had to have the bearings pressed on)theres my rant for the day,i feel better now.lol but anyway good luck and keep me posted thanks

-
Back