drum brakes

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
hey guys ok so the question is about rear drums. i just put a 318 904 8.75 combination in my70 dart for now, and the 8.75 didnt have drums on it, but it has the 5 on 4 bolt pattern axles. i was told that i should upgrade to the 10" drum for braking because 9" just isnt really that great for anything other than a /6? i am planning on putting discs on the front sooner or later, but for now i just need help with the rear drums. so anyways, i went to an auto parts store today, and asked about 10" drums with backing plates, and they pulled out their book and it said the 10" wasnt on a 70 dart, and that they only started using 10" in 73, and being in 73 they used the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.
so my question is: is there anything i can get a 10" drum with 5 on 4 bolt pattern off of? that i can put on my dart? or will i be fine using a 9" drum considering the front brakes do somewhere around 80% of the braking load anyways?

My 71 Demon had 10" front drums, so did my 74 Dart 4dr with a /6. Both cars had 4" bolt pattern.
I would upgarde to 10's on the front or round up some disc's.

I have 10" drums on my 8 3/4 dart. It is stock. Auto parts store people only know what is in the computer. Thay tell me all the time that a 70 dart did not come with a 340.

alright well ill figure out a way to round some up then, now any idea cost wise? like just for the backing plate and the drum itself, not for all the springs and goodies.

Whem I'm looking for a rough price I use Rock Auto. I don't think you will be able to buy backing plates, those you will have to Auto wrecker. I would also buy the 10" spindles from the wrecker as well.

ok well i've got 10" backing plates with 5 on 4 bolt pattern axles on my 8.75, so all i really need are the drums themselves, which is turning into quite a hassle to find

-
Back