Drum Drilling

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
Looking at drilling the drums on my rear. I look the 7 /14 brakes and got different backing plates and now have the brakes installed and everything on my 8 3/4. Just curious how everyone drills them or sets them up or what process they have gone through before I take the drill bit and start punching holes.

Jeff

I sent mine to Moser Engineering but if you have a friend with a lathe and fundamental skills it would be no problem.

As opposed to sending them in to get them redrilled I would just go and buy the big bolt ones in the same drum size. I am looking to save some money though if you know what I mean. I have heard of people drilling them with just a normal drill press.

Jeff

I have heard of alot of people doing this and no one here has any advice o. It at all? Also I have seen people take small bolt 4 piston disk brakes and drill them for large bolt. Actually a guy at the spring fling in van nuys had them for sale. Stupid me though I didn't think to ask where he got it done and now I am stuck calling machine shops and having people tell me they have no idea what I am talking about. So done has got to have more Information

Jeff

I have heard of alot of people doing this and no one here has any advice o. It at all? Also I have seen people take small bolt 4 piston disk brakes and drill them for large bolt. Actually a guy at the spring fling in van nuys had them for sale. Stupid me though I didn't think to ask where he got it done and now I am stuck calling machine shops and having people tell me they have no idea what I am talking about. So done has got to have more Information

Jeff

Moser used to offer redrilling for the KH hubs but due to low demand for the service they replaced the machinery used for it with a more profitable piece. In order to correctly redrill the KH hubs for 4.5", material must be added to the back of the hub between the existing studs. The hub then needs to be machined smooth and finally redrilled for the new studs. It`s definitely not a job for a novice. I tried to have one done by a local machine shop and they failed quite miserably. I would recommend finding somebody that has experience with doing the job before handing over a rare KH hub.

I am confussed. Are you wanting to put your 7 1/4 axles in your 8 3/4 rear? If so I don't think that can be done. What most are doing is having their 4" rear axles drilled to a 4.5". that way you can use all your rear pieces but have the BBP axle for more wheel choices.

If the small bolt drum will center on the big bolt axle centering ring, you could use the big bolt axle holes as a guide as long as you can keep that drum fixed tight to the axle hub, then you can reuse the small bolt drums.
Something i haven't done.

What are new drums $90 a pair?

I think most every one misunderstood what you were asking.lol

I used cardboard in the past as a template...the free USPS flat rate boxes work good, he he.

If you have a drill press it should be easy enough to do.

If you have some scrap sheet metal use that as a template once its right, cardboard is easier to work with but sometimes gets off a bit.

In the 70-80's doing the job as cheap as possible was the name of the game.

i used an adapter 4 to 4.5 and bolted it on with the big bolt studs knocked out so i drilled thru it as a template. worked great. if you have a that centers in the hub snug knock out the studs and use it as a pattern. no matter what everyone thinks this aint rocket science.

i used an adapter 4 to 4.5 and bolted it on with the big bolt studs knocked out so i drilled thru it as a template. worked great. if you have a that centers in the hub snug knock out the studs and use it as a pattern. no matter what everyone thinks this aint rocket science.

That's what I am saying. Back in the day everyone did it themselves and weren't out paying some other guy a small fortune to do work for em. And in the 70-80's it WAS about doing it as cheap as possible. I like the idea of the adapter and drilling through that. I appreciate the people that actually helped out with good advice.

Jeff

-
Back