dry 904

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
I have the chance to get a race prepped 904 cheap, it was the back-up tranny for an 11 second demon, but it has been sitting for two plus years, and never saw fluid. it has no valve body but is otherwise complete. Will it be a big deal to get this tranny ready for use? The previous owner said since it was stored dry it may need new seals? I have no idea myself, but if some one could tell me what it will take to get this thing ready to run, I'd appreciate it very much! I know it was setup for reverse valve body, so there is probably no kickdown setup, which is fine by me. I can shift, I think! But will it really need new seals? Any help would be priceless..Thanks

Sitting for just 2 yrs. shouldn't be a problem for the seals. I rebuilt one for a friend and he didn't get around to using it for 3 yrs. but had no problem with it. Have you looked at it good? Make sure it was sealed up so no dust got in it. As far as being set up for a manual valve body that's no big thing since it has no valve body. The only difference might be it has had the springs removed from the accumulator and a restrictor put in the front clutch port. Since you'll need a valve body for it anyway you can either buy a good manual VB or put in a regular one. It would be wise to install a TransGo shift kit in a stock one if you go stock VB. If you do that you don't have to worry about the restrictor because it's a part of the TransGo kit. As far as the accumulator springs, without them it will just shift harder.

You can also bench test the seals without even dissasembling the trans. by applying low pressure (30 lbs.) air to the ports that activate the servo's and clutch packs. I can't ever seem to get photos to work here so if you want a pix of where to apply the air to test it PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a picture.

Like Fishy I wouldn't worry about the seals I would be more worried about the fictions. If it were me I would seal up the tranny and overfill it on the bench so everything in the trans was submerged and leave it like that for a couple of days to soak the frictions.

Chuck

Definately agree with the above. All your clutches are soaked when rebuilding, likely dry as a bone..no bueno

I always prelube clutch frictions when rebuilding a trans, but sometimes they sit before install. On a chrysler trans, they lube when run in neutral. Put a couple of quarts in the converter before install, fill it up and idle it in neutral to check level and then jack up and support the rear tires off the ground. Idle it through the ranges to lube the clutches and you should be fine.

-
Back