Dual Exhaust Conversion

-

bob7four

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Barracuda with a 318 single exhaust. Can this be converted to dual exhaust without installing headers? What is required?

sure it can
just run exhaust from the downpipes out the back
maybe slap a muffler or two on there

I don't know what TTI has for A-bodies, but I know they offer a full dual exhaust for B-Bodies, and I'm planning to use one of their kits on my Charger. For the B-Bodies, they offer a kit that goes from the exhaust manifolds out the back with either an X or H crossover pipe. A bit costly, but really not much more than it cost me to have a custom system built, and TTI uses mandrel bent pipes instead of the standard bend pipes I got.

Might check to see what they offer for your Barracuda

I just checked and they do offer a 2 1/2 pipe kit for 67-69 A-Body Barracuda. Trouble you may have is I know on my '67, it is extremely tight on the passenger side getting between the gas tank and the shock. The guys who did my custom exhaust had concerns of fitting a 2 1/2" pipe through there and suggested 2 1/4" instead.

There are also a couple footnotes on the TTI site. One is asking if the transmission cross-member is notched for dual pipes. The other asks if the leaf springs are in stock location, or if they have been moved inward.

Here's a link:
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Exhaust/Exhaust_Syst_MW.htm

You'll need one more exhaust hanger bracket. On a "B" body , its on the drivers side, but it's on the passenger side...I believe.

It's not as tight on a 69 as it is on a 67. The 67 has the fuel tank hanger in the way on the passenger side. The 69 has dual straps running fore and aft so that's not a problem. 2.5 should fit easy.

Oh, when I converted my 67 FB, I just had the local exhaust shop fab up a new right side pipe and a new left side head pipe. No big deal, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I used 68 340 spec OEM mufflers.

If you are OK with the exhaust not coming out the back, it is easy to buy a kit at Jegs or Summit that has the dual exhaust and mufflers that turn down at the differential. Easy for anmuffler shop to do as well. Add the down pipes from the stock manifolds and if you like a cross over pipe and you are good to go.

-
Back