Dual Exhaust Passenger Side Smoking??

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
Well according to my friend(who followed me up to the gas station) he says my passenger side exhaust is smoking really bad white smoke when I take off from a stop.

I've never once noticed this, and I kept checking everytime I stopped and took off for a light or a sign and I didn't see any smoke(I never floor it from a stop either).

So my question is, what would cause this to happen? I've got Super Comp. Hooker Headers, connected to an "X" pipe, then Magnaflow mufflers, and so on. Now, my valve cover is minorly warped as I tightend the bolts down a little too much, and it leaks oil on the headers which creates white smoke. I'm fixing that today.

But that doesn't explain why there's white smoke coming out of my exhaust(and appearently it's only coming out of my passenger side exaust the valve cover that's F'd up and leaks oil is also on the passenger side), and I'm a little confused because I've never seen it myself.

So, any ideas would be appriciated.

My friend had this problem on a 69 GTX 440 six pack, found out either the head or block was cracked. Always smoked out the right side pipe, checked all the gaskets, ended up being a crack. He was running Hooker super comps too but they had nothing to do with it.

Also, I took the car for a drive today, and checked my mirrors, ect and I saw no smoke. So I'm not sure if he just thought he saw something or what.

Exactly how did you do this crack checking?

Did you pull the head off? Did you pull the engine out?

Sounds like a cracked head or blown head gasket to me.

I pulled the heads off. I had to change valve cover gaskets, and straigten out my passenger side valve cover. Now when it's idiling there's no smoke, when I'm driving up and down the road..no smoke.? not sure what the deal is.

If it isn't smoking after the valve cover change it could have just been oil burning off the exhaust and the smoke coming out from under the car.

That's my thought, or it could have been water pooled up in the exhaust system. Cause the smoke was white(I still haven't seen any) which means coolant or water right?

If it is not happening now it could have been water in the exhaust system . Are you losing coolant with no visible leaks ? Any oil in the coolant or white stuff in your oil ?
Can you give some specs on that 430 HP 318 build ?

If you have an x pipe some of the smoke should be coming out the left tail pipe too, sounds like some condensation or water stuck in the right muffler.

-
Back