Dual master cylinder conversion recommendation

-

Silent Thunder

Reaction score
I want to convert my single cylinder master brake cylinder to a dual. Which brand or who's product (model) will fit (work) the best? I have a 64 Valiant.

Mopar performance has a relocation plate and dual master, be aware of your brake set up drum or disc drum/disc and proportion valve needs.

I am not sure about your 64 but if the master cylinder has a 4 bolt mount, I think you just need to get a 67-68 dual master cylinder and mount it. Plumb it up properly and you're good. If you still have all drum brakes, you don't need a proportioning valve, just use the existing distribution block. Maybe this link will help and others will chime in. Dennis

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/dualmaster.htm

If you pick your components thoughtfully, you do not need any sort of a "relocation plate", nor will you need a new pushrod. You don't specify which brake system your '64 has, but the two systems available from the factory in '64 were both 4-wheel drum systems, either 9" all around or 10" all around, both with the same master cylinder. Get a new master cylinder, don't futz around with "remanufactured" garbage. Use a Wagner MC71258, Bendix 11323 or Raybestos MC36221. It'll bolt right in place of your existing single-pot master, and your existing pushrod will fit and work correctly. You'll need a distribution (splitter) block; this can be had used from any A-body with 4-wheel drums, '67-up, but probably easiest to get it new from Inline Tube for $35. You'll need to run dual hardlines from the new master to the splitter block. Be sure to bend at least one fully-circular loop in each of them to let them flex with vehicle motion without work-hardening and becoming brittle. Steel line is standard and is a pain to work with; Cunifer is a lot easier (and better).

Decide whose opinion you agree with on brake fluid (see thread here), bench-bleed the master cylinder before you install it, bleed the brakes when you're done, and you're all set.

If you pick your components thoughtfully, you do not need any sort of a "relocation plate", nor will you need a new pushrod. You don't specify which brake system your '64 has, but the two systems available from the factory in '64 were both 4-wheel drum systems, either 9" all around or 10" all around, both with the same master cylinder. Get a new master cylinder, don't futz around with "remanufactured" garbage. Use a Wagner MC71258, Bendix 11323 or Raybestos MC36221. It'll bolt right in place of your existing single-pot master, and your existing pushrod will fit and work correctly. You'll need a distribution (splitter) block; this can be had used from any A-body with 4-wheel drums, '67-up, but probably easiest to get it new from Inline Tube for $35. You'll need to run dual hardlines from the new master to the splitter block. Be sure to bend at least one fully-circular loop in each of them to let them flex with vehicle motion without work-hardening and becoming brittle. Steel line is standard and is a pain to work with; Cunifer is a lot easier (and better).

Decide whose opinion you agree with on brake fluid (see thread here), bench-bleed the master cylinder before you install it, bleed the brakes when you're done, and you're all set.

Thanks! With that I have ordered the parts and they are on the way. Thanks again.

-
Back