dual quad small blocks?

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Hey it would seem to me that with so many guys doing small block strokers these days we could benifit from a decent street/strip dual quad intake that would be similar in design to an air gap. The offy guys years ago made a dual quad 340 intake, was not a great piece I tested it on a dyno and at the time a holley strip dominator single quad made better power from 3-6k and was not down much at 2-3k. They still make a 273/318 small port unit. But all I have seen is a tunnel ram for mopar small blocks. Seems to me that once you get 800+cfm's in a single card and or run victor type or tunnel rams the low end driveabilty sucks. These are really strip only stuff.

I would prefer to run 2 small 500 afb's or avs's on to a 6 pick or a huge single 4. I think you would have better control and air flow speed with the smaller carb veturies and better runner to carb port distribution too. Hell even if the power was not much better it would look way cool. I have seen for years these intakes made for ford and chevy. I think it would be awesome if enough people leaned on eddlebrock to get an intake for the strokers! :wav:

One of the coolest , most impressive intake i've seen on a small block was on a 68 dart and it had a 360 with a small block cross ram intake.

The car looked like a super stock hemi car and you could see the carbs inside the hemi scoop just like a hemi car.

I want one bad for my 67 notch.

did see this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOPAR-DODGE-Sma...ryZ36474QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here is a list of old models once made that I stumbled on.

D64 Early 273 2 × 4 bbl. Holley; 180° 1964-65 273
D66 2 × 4 bbl. Holley; 180° 1966-? 273
LD4B LA 4 bbl. Holley; 180°; Dealer sold as #283613 1967-* LA with 318 ports
LD-340 4 bbl. Holley; 180° 1967-* LA with 340 ports
LD-6B 3 × 2 bbl. Holley; 180°
STR-12 * Cross-ram
TM-5 4 bbl. Holley; 360°
DP-4B B 4 bbl. Holley; 180° 1958-* 350, 361, 383, 400
DP390 3 × 2 bbl. Stromberg 48/97; 180°
DP-6B 3 × 2 bbl. Holley; 180°
STR-15 * Cross-ram
TM-6 4 bbl. Holley; 360°
CH4B RB 4 bbl. Holley; 180° 1959-* 413, 426W, 440
(except 1963-64 Max Wedge)
CH395 3 × 2 bbl. Rochester 2G; 180°
CH396 3 × 2 bbl. Stromberg 48/97; 180°
CH-6B 3 × 2 bbl. Holley; 180°
CH440 Dominator Holley; 180°
CH-28 2 × 4 bbl. Holley; 180°
STR-14 * Cross-ram
TM-7 4 bbl. Holley; 360°
RR-1 Hemi 2 × 4 bbl. AFB; 180°; replaces street hemi in-line 1966-* 426
RR-2 2 × 4 bbl. Holley; Cross-ram; replaces A990

I have also seen an inline edlebrock but do not know what model number it was.

edelbrock has dualquad airgaps for smallblock shebbys and 5.7hemis , maybee if people show enough interest they will develop one for smallblockmopars to? dont realy know how to show them that interest but it may work

how about a 6pack

I seen that Barry Grant is finally releasing a 6pack package for the small block 340-360. They had them for the fords and chevy's and even the 440's. In fact I believe mopar muscle did a dyno compare last month maybe.

I have always loved the 6pack design.

I'm sitting on one just waiting to get the motor done its a "65" D64,,,going in the 66 commando valiant

rocker 077.jpg

'Lar_414' is the guy with the white Dart with a STR-12 under the hood -- here's a thread from Moparts with a couple of pics. I don't know if he is a member here or not -- I think he may be over on bigblockdart.com

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ross+ram"&topic=&Search=true#Post3414732

Sorry -- just checked BBD and I don't see him over there. He may pipe in to this thread...

Okay -- just checked him out here and he hasn't posted since 2005, so I don't think he'll be around in this thread... :-( He is pretty active on Moparts...

The biggest thing really is the plenum volume, and how you increase it and still keep it under a hood. The older intakes relied on more than one carb, because a "big carb" back then was 625 cfm dry flowed. Which really equates to about 530 cfm wet. Now we have single 4s that are wet flowing 1000cfm+, and 900+ in street forms. It's easier to get plenum volume, and keep a single big carb wheere it needs to be for the best cylinder to cylinder distribution. Which in a V8 form and central carb is pretty much impossible to get "good". The STRs are still the best IMO, and you could get 1-4bbl, 2-4bbl, or 2-4bbl cross ram tops as I recall. I dont remeber if they had a 6bbl top for them. But I dont think they are making them right now. You'd do better trying to resurrect the STRs from edelbrock, than start from scratch. The Victor 340 is their answer to strokers right now.

Funny how this Xram thing keeps coming up.
I spoke with E-brock and all I got was "We haven't made that one in 30 years".
However, I spoke with A and A Transmission http://www.AandAtrans.com the guys who have started making the 440 and 426 Xrams from the day. They expressed interest in the STR12 Ed unit. A few more calls from interested small block guys might help. After all demand is what does it
I have seen and driven a 340 Duster 20 some years ago with the Xram and twin 550s. Ran REAL GOOD. Nice smooth response with light throttle, Holy Sh*t when ya pegged it.

i run a tunnel ram, on the street, and get 16 mpg's... and 12.80 at the track with 3.23's.. i love it and will never take it off!

DSCN4397.JPG

Edelbrock STR-12 Good luck finding one, supposedly they only made 1000 of them. I've seen them on feebay for $1200-1500

str12_new.jpg

360 cross ram.jpg

there is always the coolness factor,,,,nothing like popping the hood and seeing that dual carb set-up,,,,that str-12 is way high on the coolness factor

I spoke to A and A Trans again ...and If the response was big enough ...Would cost alot....! you get the idea.
However I finally got through to someone at Edelbrock, seems it might be a possability if they got enough input-request for the manifold they might do a limited production run. They have to check on the mold and talk about it etc.
But again demand is the thing.

I would be interested in an new STR-12.....only problem I have is I'd need another nitrous plate fore the other carb......that would be so cool to look at that under the hood.

Man I see what I started! :pirat:

I ended up with a polished air gap and an 800 avs and well jet and rod it as needed. I kind of would of liked two 500s sitting on a dual quad, providing the plenum, runners etc were tuned good as well. Am am sure I should still make decent power on the 416. I used to have an old offy 273 dual quad, sold it, and it would not have been the hot setup on a 340 set of heads anyway.

Yep I wanted the cool factor, but performance too. And while I love the look of the 6 pack ouch pricey! And one 4 is easier to tune too.

Found this on E-bay, Not sure how it would run... but would be fun! the first one is a OFFENHAUSER LA DUAL PORT INTAKE. The second is a Offenhauser dual 4 barrel Intake manifold 273-360 It has three bolt patterns on top for small carter WCFB, Large WCFB, and the standard HolleyCarter AFB pattern

OFFENHAUSER  LA DUAL PORT INTAKE 2.jpg

Offenhauser dual 4 barrel Intale manifold 273-360.jpg

-
Back