Dual snorkel scoop on a '71 Duster pics

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Looking for pics/info on putting a fiberglass hood with a dual snorkel hood scoop on a '70-'72 Duster. Anyone do this? Mostly looking for pics here to get a good visual understanding. Search came up pretty short.

Choices are somewhat limited for this deal. Basically there are three flavors - flat hood, molded 6-Pack scoop or cowl. I have yet to find an option of a full 'glass hood with a molded-in dual snorkel scoop.

AFAIK, the dual snorkel scoops are bolt on but I am not sure if they would work with the '71 Duster center bulge without modification. Anyone do this?

Thanks!

- Greg

this scoop right?
1971_plymouth_duster-pic-8619101324824195063.jpeg

Yes it is bolt on. Your 71 hood will likely have cutouts for the dual scoops. The snorkel scoop will fit over the center bulge in your hood. I just put one on my 72.

Here's mine.

Attachments

• dust1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 647

Mine's not trimmed for the bulge, but the hood is cut out and my air cleaner sits above the hood in the scoop, done by a previous owner and the gap under the bulge is minimal and doesn't bother me enough to trim it until I redo my hood paint.

this scoop right?

Yep, that's it.

Yes it is bolt on. Your 71 hood will likely have cutouts for the dual scoops. The snorkel scoop will fit over the center bulge in your hood. I just put one on my 72. Here's mine.

Thanks. I would be mating the scoop to a fiberglass hood so the cutout would be wherever I put it.

Did you have to modify the bottom of the scoop to fit the bulge or did it go on no problem?

yeah when I look at pics of them on ebay I think mine was modified a little to fit. Not by me though. A little trimming on the front part. I can try and get a pic for you later

yeah when I look at pics of them on ebay I think mine was modified a little to fit. Not by me though. A little trimming on the front part. I can try and get a pic for you later

Cool, that would be great. It's probably just careful trial and error until it sits like its supposed to.

I have one my 71.. the front bottom base had to be trimmed a tiny bit where the bulge is in the hood. I also cut under the hood scoop to clear my six pack set up.. I don't have pics of hole

Here ya go. I just kind of assumed the placement would be about the same as the dual scoops so I used those back under hood cutouts as sort of a guide. Seems to look about right. Sometimes I see the scoop placed too far forward and it looks weird.

You can see how the front was trimmed underneath, there's a small gap but could only tell if youre a really nosy person. ;)

Attachments

• scoop2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 526
  • scoop (1).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 573
Here ya go. I just kind of assumed the placement would be about the same as the dual scoops so I used those back under hood cutouts as sort of a guide. Seems to look about right. Sometimes I see the scoop placed too far forward and it looks weird.

You can see how the front was trimmed underneath, there's a small gap but could only tell if youre a really nosy person. ;)

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about.

Guess you could put in some sort of seal to make up the difference between the bottom of the scoop and the top of the hood but that may not look right. To get it to sit flush, it would probably just take careful trimming like I said. I suppose this would be a good excuse to buy a contour gauge.

I'm not sold on either option as of yet and unfortunately. I am not a huge fan of bolt on scoops A molded six pack scoop may actually be a cleaner/easier/cheaper option than trying to make the dual snorkel work.

Thanks again for the pics!
`

No problem. I think you could make a template out of paper pretty easily also...

i just bolted mine on without trimming anything and it looks like the above pic....small gap @ the front,but tight everywhere else.

Attachments

• duster with lakewoods.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 534
  • duster @ the farm 2008.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 587
-
Back