Dual snorkel scoop placement

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought an original dual snorkel hood scoop for my 73 Duster from a fellow member. Question is... Can one of you guys that has an original scoop in the original location measure exactly where this thing sits on the hood? Obviously it is in the middle of the hood side-to-side, but I want to know the exact measurement from the rear of the hood to the rear of the scoop. That way I can get it in the right position.

Thanks for your help!

I have the instructions at home for my reproduction snorkle for a 72 Swinger. I'll get the dimensions tonight

I put mine (cause I too just got one) 2" from the back of the hood and centered it left to right. If yours has studs your'e lucky cause mine had two missing. I made a crdboard template and laid it on my hood with the holes drilled in for the mounting studs. It went easy, underneath, I had to take a unibit to get at some of the holes to get a wrench on. You'll see which ones I mean. then I took a yellow paintstick to centerup the snorkel hole openings and drilled 2 5" holes on the hood to jam some air down that sucker. I know the factory used 4" openings but whats an inch among friends? Anyway I am a plumber so I used a 4" cast iron soil pipe gasket all trimmed down to top it all off and rtv'd them in there for good measure so they don't blow out.

Was the dual snorkle hood scoop offered as a factory option on a 72 Duster? If so, anyone know the option code?

Exact factory hole size was 4 -1/8"........Some have said 4", but I've found that off by 1/8 overall.......

There is a template available for the dual snorkel placement and stud holes on the Demon, BUT the Duster might vary from the hood back-edge by microns.........not sure.........hood framing and stock bolt access holes are the same..........

You can be sure by simply wrapping masking tape neatly around a small center punch so that it centers properly into one of the "center" (preferably the back-center) access holes on the underside of the hood.....LIGHTLY punch the location when your tool is centered......mark the location on top of the hood, and then take an exact measurement from your actual hood scoop stud (the stud's center).

This will guarantee your correct placement. OR, buy the template on Ebay. There is also a correct hole template for the ram-air inlets on Ebay.....factory parameters.

Be careful........do a good job........your Mopar's well worth the effort. (and the dual snorkels are GORGEOUS when properly done.)

Hoping someone can give me the real scoop on the snorkel hood scoop placement and install. My factory snorkel scoop which I just bought on e-bay for $250 with the shipping should be in any day now and I want to install it on my 73 Duster 340. The ad said it came off a 73 Duster but after reading all the posts here it seems they only came on Demons and Darts from the factory. Is there anyone out there that ever took off an original one and if so was there a factory gasket or weather stripping under the scoop? Is the placement distance from the back of the hood 1.5" or 2" or neither. The scoop I have has the factory studs and the advice about painting the drilled holes and putting some silicone around them is well taken. At some point I plan to put the two 4" or 41/8" holes for air intake in but for right now I just want to install it without them. Can someone with a stock set up take a look and let us know? Thanks

Wow! Great info, this is exactly what I have been looking for. My scoop will be mounted by tomorrow night. Thanks

hey man I read an artical in a mopar mag a while back that said there was one hole toward the back of the hood that is supposed to be the original hole for the rear middle stud. Hope this helps at the moment and Ill try to find the artical so I can get more specific for you. I know it was on a "really low budget build" just to make a 74/75 red duster look cool. Thats the scoop they chose and like I said about the placement. It was in mopar action I think. it would ahve been pretty old though. couple years old maybe.

After looking at my hood I think the hole they used was one of the holes for the insulation pad. Using this hole as a guide would probably locate the hood scoop to far forward but I'm sure it would look O.K. I think I will stick with 72 Demons specs since he has the original mounted scoop from the factory. In fact, if you look at his under hood shot you can see the hole they were talking about a few inches towards the front of the hood from his factory location. The red line he drew goes right through it. Thanks for the info. 72 is right on the fact that no Duster came with a snorkel scoop.

Hey guys, I just bought an original dual snorkel hood scoop for my 73 Duster from a fellow member. Question is... Can one of you guys that has an original scoop in the original location measure exactly where this thing sits on the hood? Obviously it is in the middle of the hood side-to-side, but I want to know the exact measurement from the rear of the hood to the rear of the scoop. That way I can get it in the right position.

Thanks for your help!
3 1/4 from back of hood

-
Back