Demon and Dart Sport Scoop Location

-
View attachment 1715087022 Here is the measurements I used to install the twin scoops on my 70 duster.
The necessary measurements are scribed onto the hood in the attached image.
They are right on the button.

This is great information.
Just wondering how your install turned out as I am doing dual scoops on my 72 Duster as well and is my winter project. It had a /6 - so there are no cutouts in the hood for the 4" holes. Attached is a pic of the hood with temp scoop placement however, I may change that based on your information.
I am missing a 340 emblem for one of the scoops and it appears as though there was screen (?) or chrome trim in the front as there are connectors for something....
Was thinking of doing painted strips but now thinking of painting the entire hood (?) flat black (?)
Dusty is a runner so, I'm not worrried about keeping it original as I'm way past that point....

IMG_4687.JPG

Nice write up. Being mine is aftermarket i hope the mounting holes are close to factory location. What size are the 2 round cutout holes?

Ok thanks. What type of hardware holds your scoop on. Is it studs and SEMs nuts or just SEMs bolts?

I was thinking studs and nuts because it would make it easier to position the scoop and keep it in place so i could install nuts.

Hey NeeMa, I see your from Switzerland and I know a lot of Mopars were made at the Schinznach plant not far from Baden - were/was your car made there? I notice the different badging and emblems.

Hi!

My 74' Valiant has the "Schinznach-Tag" but it was made in Canada. They stopped the assembly of Mopars in Schinznach in 1973. The import taxes for complete cars where radically reduced at that time and the assembly in Switzerland became too expensive.
From then the cars came complete and only some changes to adhere the swiss laws where made in Schinznach. For example the catalytic converters had to be removed because there was no unleaded fuel in europe at that time.

The whole "Montage Suisse" story started with the global economic crisis. To support domestic products the taxes for different imorted products where increased massive. Nowadays we would say "Switzerland first" ;-)
Complete cars have been one of these products. But not cars in parts so we startet to assemble them here.

GM has a similar Story with their assembly plant in Biel.

just an update here. today i found out that the dual snorkel scoop was available on the 74 dart sport as well. so to correct this i am posting this for everyone to see. the scoop was gone after 74 not 73!
Yes, my 74 Dart Sport 360 came with the scoop and blackout from the factory, and had the two round holes in the hood too.
A friend had another 74 360 4 speed Dart Sport with the scoop and round holes too.

Last edited:
Some of the reproductions are terrible quality, thin fiberglass, I had one that was some sort of white plastic it was warped and unfixable. If buying a reproduction fiberglass would be best as it can be worked with.

IMG_20180213_174214.jpg

Original 72's are getting scarce as so many have been cut to fit other hoods, if your lucky enough to find an original uncut 72 and are planning on using it on another model please don't cut it, you could probably sell or trade it for one that has already been altered. They are made of SMC fiberglass (sheet moulded compound) and regular fiberglass doesn't adhere to SMC very well. Best to use SMC epoxy to repair them.

IMG_20181112_231323.jpg

I bought an aftermarket one. Was real thick fiberglass, about 1/8" thick. Mounting lugs in the same location as stock. Was for a duster hood, i had to grind and shape it to fit it for a 73-76 dart hood going on my kids 69 cuda. Granted it needs a little work compared to the stocker, but at $135 shipped, and its new fiberglass, i couldent pass it up

20180707_140112.jpg

20180707_155638.jpg

20180707_155646.jpg

I bought an aftermarket one. Was real thick fiberglass, about 1/8" thick. Mounting lugs in the same location as stock. Was for a duster hood, i had to grind and shape it to fit it for a 73-76 dart hood going on my kids 69 cuda. Granted it needs a little work compared to the stocker, but at $135 shipped, and its new fiberglass, i couldent pass it up

View attachment 1715261531

View attachment 1715261534

View attachment 1715261535
That looks like a very nice reproduction, glad to see someone making thicker ones now.

The openings are a little rough, not opened and rounded as nicely as an OEM one. I have closeup pix of the openings of the OEM ones. I will open the holes in mine up and shape them with a rotary file, then fill and smooth them with some dynaglass.

On the oem ones you can unbolt the lower front part and swap it out for a different one depending on the hood shape. This aftermarket, the lower piece is fiberglassed together and doesnt seperate.

Last edited:
I bought one last year off the internet, thinking it was fiberglass. Turned out when I got it it was some sort of ABS plastic. It was warped and cracked and nothing would bond to it, it was 2 piece like an original but horrible material. Its the shiny one beside the dirty original one in the picture I posted above.

View attachment 1715261531

View attachment 1715261534

View attachment 1715261535
that's going to look great on the 69 cuda!

-
Back