Dual Stromberg CD150 carbs

-

Alf

Reaction score
I have just got a complete dual carb set up for my 66 Dart GT automatic.

It uses twin Stromberg CD 150 side draft carbs.

It came off a pretty wild good running engine when the owner changed to triple Webers.

Has anyone run one of these set ups ?

Does anyone have any info they could share.

The engine it is going on is stock apart from headers and I know I will have to sort out some sort of kickdown. Probably go with a cable.

Never on a slant, but I have had Strombergs on a couple Triumphs. The 150's will be an upgrade from the original 1Bbl, but if your manifold will accept them, a pair of 175 CD's (or HS6 SU's) would be better suited to a 225. They should make for a nice responsive street engine. The kickdown will be an issue to be sorted. Also, buy the correct tool to adjust the needles in the Strombergs. This will save many torn diaphragms.

Also, pics would be cool.

Thanks. I hope to have the manifold and carbs here in about a week. I will post some pics then.

The carb setup came off a friends hot rod. He has changed them to triple Webers and they were gathering dust on the shelf in his garage. This is the only pic I have of them.

Only problem is that he lives about two hours drive from here so we are organising a bit of a relay to get them down to me. Should hopefullly be here this weekend.

And as someone is going to ask "can we see the complete vehicle they came off?":)

I will post some better pics when they arrive.

a pair of 175 CD's (or HS6 SU's) would be better suited to a 225. They should make for a nice responsive street engine.

We're going to give a set of triple SUs (HIF6s) a try in my 65 Dart then maybe later (or sooner as the case may be), a set of triple DCOE45 Webers.

Attachments

• intakes 008.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 480
  • intakes 009.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 492
Nice looking setups. The car my carbs are coming off now runs triple Webers. Goes real well.

The triple SU carbs look neat. They were a popular fitting to many of the old six cylinder cars many years ago. Really like the look of them.

Whichever way you end up going purchase a good carb balancer.

It has taken a while for the carbs to arrive but they are here at last. I will have to get a kick down cable made and some fuel fittings sorted out. I think I should be able to use the original throttle cable.

Just need to find some time.

A 'trial fit' shows they should clear everything including the battery. The '66 Dart GT is a rare car down here in New Zealand being the only one in the country so I don't want to really modify anything so the car can be converted back to original if needed. Probably won't perform much better but will at least look a bit different when the hood is open.

Started fitting everything up over the weekend.

Fits in quite nice. Makes for a wide engine.

Awaiting some throttle links and will have to get a kickdown cable custom made but hoping to at least have it running today.

Wow! I'm jealous! That looks awesome! Bet it sounds killer!

Years ago I had a pair of 40mm DCOEs on my Omni GLH. I loved how it sounded under wot!

Got it running yesterday. Starts and idles nice. Spent a bit of time getting the carbs balanced.

I am awaiting some parts to arrive so I can sort the linkages. Kickdown will be a bit of work.

I am really happy with the way it looks. Fills the engine bay well.

Something different. I looked all over and only found one other picture of this setup.

Great thread, congrats to the O.P,on a successful installation. A question: Has anyone tried the Nissan version of the S.U , on a slant? Used to run a pair, on a 4 cyl engine years ago. (Had decent luck, syncing was a pain,lol).

Got the throttle linkage all done today. Waiting on some different links to use on the kickdown cable. Probably be next week before it is all finished and ready to drive.

I am going to connect a choke cable to use to advance the idle when cold.

Got the throttle linkage all done today. Waiting on some different links to use on the kickdown cable. Probably be next week before it is all finished and ready to drive.

I am going to connect a choke cable to use to advance the idle when cold.

Good luck....

I got this running and driving with the kickdown connected yesterday.

The local motorbike shop made a custom kickdown cable for me.

The engine previously had a dual barrel Carter carb and the new dual CD's are definate improvement in power and smoothness.

Still a little bit of tuning to do. It doesn't want to idle nicely when cold but once the engine warms up it settles down O.K.

Increased the plug gap to .40 and that helped. Then some fresh oil in the carb dampers.

Need to get it out on the highway and go for a decent run.

Then there are the bigger carbs to fit. Not for a while, I want to actually use the car first. With one thing and another it has been off the road most of the summer and we have missed out on a lot of events.

Thanks for the update! Multiple carbs on a slant look so sexy compared to an ordinary 4 barrel on a Clifford/Offy manifold.

Very nice. Congrats on the new induction.

-
Back