Dual valve springs stock on 2.02 915 J Heads?

-
I'm running .562 lift with a beehive spring.(tapered single spring with a smaller than normal retainer)
and that is with a HYD Roller lifter aka, read heavy! on a RHS headed 408 stroker.

You'll be OK for coil bind with the single spring IF you install it at 1.7. But just because the spec sheet for the spring says 1.7, does not mean it will install there. That depends on the retainers and valve. Stock retainers & valves install at around 1.650" IIRC. If that was the case, then the compressed height at max lift would be past coil bind so that does not work. You either change retainers or locks, or deepen the valve spring pocket , or a bit of both.

BTW, IMHO, .035" is a bit close on coil bind. I'd shoot for .060".

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure on that figure myself.

You are not going to find a multi groove keeper in .050, -030 and -060 and+ 050 only available for single grove style valves.

Ok, going back through this and this post has me confused. Don’t I want a single groove keeper? For a higher rate single like the 926?

Yes.
But you must have a single groove valve stem to us it. stock chry valves are 2 or 3 grove valve and keeper style.
In other words, you would need to buy all new valves to go with a single groove lock/keeper

Yes.
But you must have a single groove valve stem to us it. stock chry valves are 2 or 3 grove valve and keeper style.
In other words, you would need to buy all new valves to go with a single groove lock/keeper

Ok, don’t want to buy all new valves :)

So I need to buy 2-3 groove keepers? Or is there some special formula that I don’t know about?

Nope you have to compress the spring to brake loose the retainer from the locks.... then you will know.
They may be single grooves.
got to pull them to know.

OH MY GAWD

Sorry never have replaced springs. Hopefully someday you will need to ask about pulling a VP44 out of a 24v and I can make fun of you. The manufacturers of this stuff don’t make it easy to figure this out. I can buy a whole kit from every cam manufacturer with locks, springs retainers etc, and they don’t even tell you how many grooves the locks have...

Trying to learn...

Sorry never have replaced springs. Hopefully someday you will need to ask about pulling a VP44 out of a 24v and I can make fun of you. The manufacturers of this stuff don’t make it easy to figure this out. I can buy a whole kit from every cam manufacturer with locks, springs retainers etc, and they don’t even tell you how many grooves the locks have...

Trying to learn...

Hay man, take it how you want, but I am not making fun of anyone. I am simply amazed at how many people are making this so complicated for you. It's not that hard. Really.

Sorry man. No hurt feelings I hope.

From my mopar books it seemed like the number of grooves on the valve stems doesn’t matter. Multi groove locks allow valve spin, single groove locks don’t. That seemed to be the difference to me. Is this wrong?

mopar small blocks used different valves and valve locks over the years . see what u have, 1 groove , 2 , 3. and some came with different number of grooves on the intakes and exhaust.

RRR my be right about making more complicated than it need to be....
But you are learning so i won't stop:poke::D
If it's a high rev eng then you need single groove locks. Otherwise a single double or triple will work on the stock retainer. what i did when i had my triple groove lock, i ground the end we're the lock butt to itself so that they locked on the stem(valve won't rotate any more) Per mopar performance recommendations. All the factory retainers will except a single double or triple locks.
If you are change from one single spring to another single spring, locks retainer and valve will be reusable................unless you go to a beehive spring, then you will need a new retainer because it is smaller then the standard retainer.......:D

Going from stock springs to 926 comps seems like I need to switch to a 10* retainers and locks. Also I don’t know if the I.D.of the new springs match the stock retainers. And at .525 lift I want to be certain it is all good.

a 926 spring does not need 10* retainers and locks. the more the retainer matches the diameters of the springs the better. a lower rpm hydraulic lifter and all this is not that critical, high rpm solids-more important to be tight

-
Back