Dude!!! this is where i parked my truck

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK OK OK , I have a mental issue and I am going to hear it from my family when they find out (its dark outside now and no one knows yet)

I just picked up a 1970 Dodge D100 Truck. Its got some issues as any old farm truck would but its very rust free as would be expected for my area. Mostly complete and non running at the moment.

It has a 225 slant six and a truck 4speed transmission with an 8 3/4 rear. I don't know the gears yet.

The guy I bought it from claims that it is a "Dude" truck.

I cant tell if any decals were ever there because most of the truck is in primer black with traces of what looks like old sublime green.....he says he was going for a rat rod look with the black primer but I think it looks more like a crackhead drug dealer look. But that doesn't matter now.

How can I find out if it is a "Dude" or what it is ??

I know there are some truck gurus here

Not a 'guru', but I am envious and......... I have a restored photo of one here somewhere, think 1970 Super Bee C-stripe with a cowboy hat & the word 'Dude'.

That says they came with 383...

It says they "could" come with a 383. They came with pretty much everything.

"The Dude Sport Trim package was clearly more fun as far as options and looks went. The body length, C -shaped side stripe fit the contours of the trucks cab to Sweptline box and included the Dude logo. The truck was based more upon paint and tape appearance upgrades rather than comfort or engineering advancements. A good majority of the Dude pickups were 1971 model year trucks, so a truly rare find are the 1970 model years. Engines for these trucks included the 225 slant 6, the 318 small block V8, and the big block 383 V8. The Dude package could also be ordered with options like air conditioning, and bucket seats with center console."

It says they "could" come with a 383. They came with pretty much everything.

"The Dude Sport Trim package was clearly more fun as far as options and looks went. The body length, C -shaped side stripe fit the contours of the trucks cab to Sweptline box and included the Dude logo. The truck was based more upon paint and tape appearance upgrades rather than comfort or engineering advancements. A good majority of the Dude pickups were 1971 model year trucks, so a truly rare find are the 1970 model years. Engines for these trucks included the 225 slant 6, the 318 small block V8, and the big block 383 V8. The Dude package could also be ordered with options like air conditioning, and bucket seats with center console."
Yeh, my bad.
Was just looking at page you quoted from..
I initially just read the first page that came up.

Yeh, my bad.
Was just looking at page you quoted from..
I initially just read the first page that came up.

They were really cool as trucks. I love that they were all the high impact colors.

They never discuss option codes or numbers on the web site to tell the difference.

On the door jamb there is a little fender tag and I see all the driveline specs.

The tag says 3.55 gears.

I didn't see any other tags but it is dark and I am out there with a little flashlight lol

Remove the rear side lights when you can to see if any bits of the original stripe are behind them & / or wrapped inside the panel after it was originally cut & possibly folded in.

Wheel color should also match the stripe color if it started life as a Dude.

Check wheels for color & date codes too. Fun stuff, I am exited for you. :)

Remove the rear side lights when you can to see if any bits of the original stripe are behind them & / or wrapped inside the panel after it was originally cut & possibly folded in.

Wheel color should also match the stripe color if it started life as a Dude.

Check wheels for color & date codes too. Fun stuff, I am exited for you. :)

AGGGHHHH the markers are gone, looks like one was busted off before the black primer came. The wheels are off a ford ranger or some newer crap

The more I look around on the internet the more I think that it was NOT an original dude truck.

However I am still in love with it mainly because it's a slant six truck, that makes me feel warm and fuzzy thinking of that sweet slanty sound.
I just picked up a 2bbl. Manifold from a fabo member so that is going on this truck.

I think the traces of sublime were added with a rattle can because it's different color under hood which is what I think was original.

I understand that not all dudes were high impact colors but buyers had the high impact colors as an available option where as non dude truck buyers did not have that option. So, if that is true, there are dudes in existence in non high impact colors.

It's dark and windy outside because another snow storm is coming!!

20190127_201502.jpg

They never discuss option codes or numbers on the web site to tell the difference.

On the door jamb there is a little fender tag and I see all the driveline specs.

The tag says 3.55 gears.

I didn't see any other tags but it is dark and I am out there with a little flashlight lol

If you read that site I linked to, it tells you all kinda clues. The biggest one is that all the roofs were painted stripe color. Stripes were either white or black. So if you find evidence the roof was white or black, I bet that is a Dude. You've already said you found Sublime green. There's one clue.

I don't know about '70 but my '76 came with a laminated sheet glued to the underside of the hood, which listed all the options. Unfortunately, I never peeled it off in time and stored it somewhere safe. It came off by itself and just disappeared.

The article said the tailgates were different for the dude trucks. They had a flat panel instead of embossed letters. Tailgates are easy to change, but it is something to check out.

I've seen a few dudes that weren't hi impact colors and I've seen several hi impact colors and white textured tops on non dude trucks...they are all cool tho.the first one i remember seeing was pale yellow black top and stripe.

As much as I would love it to be a dude, i have determined that it is NOT.

i still bought a 70 dodge pickup that i intend to love and use but it's nothing special, just another of many like it. Its only special to me because it's mine. :)

-
Back