Dumb Mopar moves - this should be fun

-
Yrs ago there were two brick layers that I knew from working on different job sites. The one guy said that the other had a Fury with a Hemi. Went to look and it was a 70 Sport Fury GT, 440TNT, Burnt Orange ext/ Burnt Orange int. I occasionally did work for him and could work it off. I had no spare room and needed money. $800.00

Had a really nice all original 71 340 Duster, 4-speed, bench seat deluxe interior, Tuff wheel, tach, ect that I purchased in 1982. In 1985 after already doing a lot of mods I turned it into a tubbed pro-street car with a 12.5:1 compression and a tunnel ram. Wish I had done that to a less desirable Duster.

Also had a nice 1970 Barracuda Grand Coupe (318 auto on column) that I just didn't think was cool enough at the time :(

Lastly I had a black 2005 Rumble Bee I totaled, still miss that truck

Last edited:
1990 - was about ready to fork over $12k for a "real" 440-6 4-speed Dana 4.10 70 Cuda. Everything checked out on the car and it was in great shape but I only had a 2-car garage and I already had my 69 Charger and my 71 Demon. Wife and I waffled back and forth trying to decide and...we walked! Big oopsie!! Heck, I could have retired sooner!! :BangHead: (Nah, I never seem to be able to sell these old cars!)
2021 I passed on a real 440-6 4-speed Dana 71 Cuda for 20K original paint.
It was a neighbor who's dad passed, I said I cannot rip you off the car is worth more than that.
I did buy a 70 cuda 340 4-speed rust bucket off him for $2500.

Not Mopar, but given the above quote....

In 1987, while I was going to the U of M, I passed-up on buying a '72 or '73 Pantera with a blown-up 351C. Could have bought it for $5k, but back then, that was a LOT of money for me.
...and slap a 340 in there!

Yeah, I passed on a chance at a Cheetah with a blowed up motor and a crunched fender, but was going through a divorce at the time- all I had was half of nothing.

Last edited:
In the early 1990s I sold my 1969 Mach 1 and bought a 1970 "340" Duster for 2 grand. Not a speck of rust on it, buckets, auto, the engine was really built. I had some fun with it, won several street races and sold it within a year for 2 grand! I should have kept that one.

I was 16 looking for my first car - had to be a mopar (had just been to Rockingham & watched the S&M car!). Ad in the local penny saver said '71 RR, V-8, runs strong, $2500. I called & went to see it. Two guys were leaning into the engine bay when I pulled up. I asked what was wrong. They said the thing needed constant tuning. I was fearful of that because I had zero/zip/nada automotive experience. Plus, I had never seen spark plug wires attach thru the valve covers before. I passed.

Not too long after that I bought a '72 Challenger with a 2-bbl 318/slap stick AT. Ran fine but I decided to swap in a 383 from a '70 Challenger which was rusting away sitting behind the owner's parent's house. The owner had gone to prison for drug sales & killing his girlfriend while high. I bought the car for $600 & towed it home. I pulled the engine & trans and put an ad in the paper to sell the rest as a roller. Man called & asked what rear end was in it. I looked & referred to the Chiltons - book said it was a 9 3/4. I wasn't concerned because I knew I had a 8 3/4 in my Challenger. The guy showed up & offered me $900 for the roller. What a deal! And who would want a car with such a small rear window when compared to my '72? After he learned I had the engine & trans, he offered me another $600 for them. I thought "Score!" Sold it all for $1500. Once I learned about the 9 3/4 being a Dana 60, I went to work learning all about Mopars.

As I sit here in my old age, I wonder what woulda/coulda/shoulda have been. But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

I bought a 73 Duster, 340 four speed from a guy who owned a gas station in the area I worked in. It was sitting in his junkyard near his house. I gave him $75 for it in the early 90's. It ran, but the 8 1/4 was toast. I told him it would be a few weeks before I could haul it off, and he said that was fine.....it wasn't eating anything. I went back with the trailer about 2 1/2 weeks later and the entire junkyard was empty! The IRS had raided his place and seized all the cars in the yard and crushed them for the scrap money to pay his back taxes. He barely stayed out of jail. I didn't even ask for my money back, because if I'd gotten it when I bought it, I wouldn't have lost it like that! :BangHead:
I lost a couple of first gen pick-ups that way........I paid in full though. Never saw the cash again :(

in 1973 i sold my '71 340 'Cuda for the price of a brand new 318 Challenger. Did the paperwork through the local Mopar dealer as a trade in and new purchase. Cost to me was zero.
Tickled pink thinking i made like a Bandit....'71 Cuda for a brand new 73 Challenger....yeah right!

Sold my 69 Super Bee 383 MAGNUM "fact 4speed" but auto when I had it n 67 383 4BBL Coronet 500 Auto...Triple black car....called it BOXCAR WILLIE

I should have kept my '69 Satellite. It was purchased for my grandmother, the sold to my parents, then sold to my older sister, then sold to me (1977)!

Sunfire yellow, black interior, 318, 2bbl, auto, PS. I added the Cragar SS wheels and headers. Hindsight!!

1969 Satellite (Mine).jpg

I owned a '66 Dart GT with an HP 273/4-speed. I got rid of it 'cuz I could not find any nice wheels to fit the 4-bolt 13" setup.

I owned a '68 Dodge Charger 440HP R/T 833 car. It was gorgeous. I traded it for a Chevelle with a 396 'cuz it was well known that to build a hot-rod, you HAD to start with a Chevy.

Chevy was not an SS. It was a plain 'ol chevy Malibu that someone had shoehorned a BB into.

Some years later...I owned a different '68 440 Charger...and a '69, too! Got rid of them both for $1000 'cuz I 'couldn't afford' to fix their bad 727s.

The only things dumber in my life were the number of times I said, 'I do.'

I passed on a 69 Hemi auto Daytona in 1982 for $21000.00. Car was all original with 6000 miles. I was young and 21000.00 was a lot of money back then

NOT ME, but my younger brother. Our brother-in-law bought a new car and sold his old one to my brother for $1. It was a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere in red, with a black vinyl top and black bucket seat interior. It was ALSO a 4 speed car with a 383 4bbl, and limited slip rear. It was well maintained and mechanically solid. It had a little rust on the lower year quarters, as I remember. Yep, $1, so what does my brother do?

He traded it for a dirt bike!! :BangHead:

I'm guilty of snapping off a wheel stud on one when I was a kid. I only did one and then I noticed the L stamped in the middle of the rest. Took me 10 minutes to replace it as this was at a big tire store and we stocked dang near everything back then. This was probably about 1982.....or so.

I'm guilty of snapping off a wheel stud on one when I was a kid. I only did one and then I noticed the L stamped in the middle of the rest. Took me 10 minutes to replace it as this was at a big tire store and we stocked dang near everything back then. This was probably about 1982.....or so.
The real question is did you replace replace it with a LH or RH thread one?

I’d have been tempted to put a RH one in there to mess with the next guy!!!

-
Back