Dumb Question - Coil

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Ok, I took my 318 out and rebuilt it and everything has been pretty smooth so far until today. I have everything back in it and for the life of me I can't remeber which wires go to which posts on my stock coil.
There are 4:
(1)Black and (1)Red to the distributer
1 that goes to a small canister that bolts onto the coil mounting bracket/intake manifold
1 that runs into my wire loom (I think its dark navy blue)

I can't believe I'm hung up on something so trivial:banghead:, but which wires go the which positive and negative posts on the coil?

Thanks,
Clark

Don't go hooking up the dist until.....

What kind of ignition system do you have? Stock Mopar, MSD, Pertronix, etc?

You have stock Mopar wiring harness?

You have a ballast resistor on the firewall? AND what year/ model you workin' on?

Sorry... 1970 318 all stock with Ballast on firewall.

OK if it's "all stock" it does not have electronic ignition, yet you are asking about two wires in the distributor.

2 wire? 4 wire ballast?

Mopar electronic distributor?

Pertronix?

We are not mind readers

Can you post a photo or two?

Ahh, pertronix inside... forgot that I replaced the points setup with it awhile back. There is a red and black going to it.
It has a navy blue wire coming out of the wire bundle and then there is one that is about 6" long and attaches to a 1/2 x 1.5" cap that is bolted to the coil mounting bracket.

Sorry I can't post any pics of it.

OK, You can go to the Pertronix site and get info there, but I believe the general idea is the red goes to coil +, the other goes to coil neg, and your blue wire coming from the harness goes also to coil +

If you have bypassed the coil resistor, the brown that went to the coil resistor should also be connected to this coil+ termination

-
Back