Dumb question

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what those "two" holes (each side) are on the inner heads at 9 & 3 o'clock. Just below the carb and between the intakes outer edge? I seem to have a small oil leak from that area. I'm thinking bad..."just a little" RTV maybe for now until I'm not sick of motor stuff,; like changing an intake gasket.

Do you have a pic of the area?

Standby!!

Thee unside down "U" or "n" in the middle, 2nd pic shows a better view. RTV a problem??

DSCF0004.JPG

head-a.jpg

Jimmy, I have a set of 302 heads that are not installed yet and I checked that area on those. It looks like a hollow area that surrounds the port that comes from one of the bowls that brings warm air into the intake. I just squirted WD40 into it and it just kept filling up and not going anywhere. Mike

Jimmy, I have a set of 302 heads that are not installed yet and I checked that area on those. It looks like a hollow area that surrounds the port that comes from one of the bowls that brings warm air into the intake. I just squirted WD40 into it and it just kept filling up and not going anywhere. Mike

Thanks Mike, figured as much..:read2:.for use on an orginal intake. I have a light gasket leak and it fills after a while....(so I used muffler cement) no more hole! Hope it doesn't screw anything up??

Jimmy, heres a pic of how gasket goes around this area. Maybe you can figure where leak is coming from. By the way, I'm also running Edelbrock Performer and those openings are exposed on my engine also Mike

intake 003.JPE

Jimmy, heres a pic of how gasket goes around this area. Maybe you can figure where leak is coming from. By the way, I'm also running Edelbrock Performer and those openings are exposed on my engine also Mike

Thanks, good view there Mike!....I think the leak is coming up from the bottom gasket as their should be no oil galleries around that area. The oil coming out I think is only pressuized only by the engine, so the cement may do the trick for now...I hope.
Thanks again.

Is it possible that your head need,s a different gasket for your intake.
Is every one using the same head and intake? Or is it even possible that there is two different gaskets.
Just thinking about new head and intake design, :dontknow:
if there is such a thing:read2:.

Is it possible that your head need,s a different gasket for your intake?
Is every one using the same head and intake? Or is it even possible that there is two different gaskets.
Just thinking about new head and intake design, :dontknow:
if there is such a thing:read2:.

There is no oil there, it's an open space to allow for air circulation around the heat riser (exhaust gasses run under the stock intake). The closest oil in that area is not pressurized, it would come from the valve cover gasket or very unlikely from the valley under the intake. Oil leaks tend to run down hill, not up.

You most likely have a valve cover gasket leaking.

-
Back