Duncan Motor sports ratchet shifter ?

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
I took a look at the www.duncan-motor-sports.com website and they sell a plate that replaces the stock gate on the old non ratcheting shifters, converting it to a ratchet shifter. Looks like its a snap to install. Anyone have experience with one of these ? Comments ?

I have a ratchet shifter from a '75 coronet I was considering using to replace the one in my 66 dart - anyone ever tried this ??

There was a thread at bigblockdart.com about shifters and someone said that they had used one. I pm'd him and he waid he was happy with it. I ordered one on Friday. Won't know till spring how it works, though.

I had one in the Duster. I had problems with it jambin up
a couple times. The first time it stayed in low gear. Lucky
I was only a few blocks from home. The second time it would
not go into 1st or 2nd. Pulled it out the last time and put
the stock setup( another shifter) back in. I can still shift
it pretty good with the stock setup. It kept bending the
detent in the shifter asm.

I installed one in my Cuda and it was easy to install but I don't like it. I worked with it until I was blue in the face and I just can't get it to ratchet down cleanly. Works ok sometimes then other times it jambs up momentarily. It's coming out as soon as I can afford a new shifter.

Hey Fishy - That doesnt sound encouraging, Is it a problem with the "catch" on the end of the handle or what did you see as the main issue ?

It acted like it was burrs on the edges hanging things up but I can't see any. I tried adjusting it (what little adjustment you can do) with not much luck. I thought about taking it back apart and filing the edges down the corners for a more rounder corner but just haven't gotten around to it. Mainly decided I'd like to get a Quick Silver after I tried one I liked it.

-
Back