Duplicolor new Paintshop Primer/Base/Clear

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
I was watching "Trucks" today and saw them paint a Bronco using a new matched paint system by Duplicolor which has a Primer/Base/Clear laquer system.

I am interested because I am getting ready to paint my 68 Dart and I am on an extremely tight budget. They claim the three part system requires no additional items, it is all pre-mixed and ready to spray. I have a good compressor and a good paint gun, I have limited experience painting parts, but never a whole car so I want to go with something simple and this looks like the ticket.

Has anyone used this stuff?

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

I've started painting my trim, next the door tops, and would like to find some clearcoat in a can.

I havent tried it but IMO I wouldnt use it. Simply dont think it will look as good as regular paint.

Flatlander, just make sure the clear coat is compatible with you paint. If it isn't you'll have 4X the work to fix it. If you're after clear in a rattle can alot of paint supply places can do that for you or that will have an alternative that works pretty good... The paint goes into a glass jar that you screw a compressed air can on to...works just like a regular spray can.
I don't think there would be any problem with the Duplicolor paint. Advance Auto has it, I was pretty happy to see it when we got it in. I won't use it on my just because they are generic colors, not factory paint coded and that what I want on the Cuda. If I was painting a GM, even if i was going to keep it for a while I would use the paint... just not on the Cuda.

I am thinking about the Black, I like the fact that it is a laquer with no recoat time, so you can paint small sections at a time and not have to worry about doing it all at once. I am going to pick up a quart each of primer/black/clear anf try painting my hood to see if it is any good, The hood is very flat and I can sand it all down and start over if it dont work very well.

flyboy01 said:
I am thinking about the Black, I like the fact that it is a laquer with no recoat time, so you can paint small sections at a time and not have to worry about doing it all at once. I am going to pick up a quart each of primer/black/clear anf try painting my hood to see if it is any good, The hood is very flat and I can sand it all down and start over if it dont work very well.

Please post some pictures and let us know how it goes... I saw "Trucks" as well, and it looks like an interesting product.

[QUOTE='68-340-S]Flatlander, just make sure the clear coat is compatible with you paint. If it isn't you'll have 4X the work to fix it. If you're after clear in a rattle can alot of paint supply places can do that for you or that will have an alternative that works pretty good... The paint goes into a glass jar that you screw a compressed air can on to...works just like a regular spray can.
I don't think there would be any problem with the Duplicolor paint. Advance Auto has it, I was pretty happy to see it when we got it in. I won't use it on my just because they are generic colors, not factory paint coded and that what I want on the Cuda. If I was painting a GM, even if i was going to keep it for a while I would use the paint... just not on the Cuda.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I've got to go into town and buy another pint of paint, I'll ask the body shop guy for the apropriate clear coat.

-
Back